What new products are coming?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
In the Letter to Shareholders, it says

Wireless speakers remains our largest category on an annual revenue basis and our product roadmap is focused
on delivering new products in that category to balance and grow our overall portfolio. (Not in bold in the original)

So, a new Play:3 seems possible, to "balance" the portfolio. But what is anyone guessing at to "grow" the portfolio?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

There are two ikea speakers slated for August release. Other than that, it's anyone's guess. Perhaps an updated Connect or playbar. Perhaps something entirely new. Since they have the Sonance and ikea this year, perhaps nothing else.
Given that Sonos is finally open to partnering with other companies (Sonance, IKEA), and that multi-room wireless audio has come to the more traditional higher end market, I wouldn't mind seeing Sonos partner with one of the science-based speaker manufacturers. Spence is from Canada, and there are several speaker companies there that use the research from Canada's NRC in their speaker designs. PSB would be a great candidate.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/articles/Paul-Barton-at-the-NRC
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I'm not sure I see the Ikea models as "balancing" the range - though they do "grow" it. There's a gap between the One/Play:1 and the Play:5 IMHO. And the Sonance and Ikea products got a mention earlier in the letter, before this hint at what might be coming.
I'm not sure I see the Ikea models as "balancing" the range - though they do "grow" it. There's a gap between the One/Play:1 and the Play:5 IMHO. And the Sonance and Ikea products got a mention earlier in the letter, before this hint at what might be coming.

It doesn't fill all the gaps in the range, but it certainly helps. I don't know if there really needs to be a speaker between the One and the 5. I can see a new 3 replacement coming out, but seems odd that they would discontinue the old 3 long before a new 3 comes out.
Badge +7
[I can see a new 3 replacement coming out, but seems odd that they would discontinue the old 3 long before a new 3 comes out.

This -- agreed, would be strange to discontinue so prematurely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The FCC database gives us a vision of forthcoming products about three months into the future, the only item there is the IKEA lamp/speaker.
Badge +20
Given that Sonos is finally open to partnering with other companies (Sonance, IKEA), and that multi-room wireless audio has come to the more traditional higher end market, I wouldn't mind seeing Sonos partner with one of the science-based speaker manufacturers. Spence is from Canada, and there are several speaker companies there that use the research from Canada's NRC in their speaker designs. PSB would be a great candidate.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/articles/Paul-Barton-at-the-NRC

http://lenbrook.com/#ourbrands NAD, PSB and Bluesound
Ah. Well, there are other science based speaker makers.
Rumor has it that the Sonos Four, as yet unannounced, is a electric vehicle (with four wheels) that will play your Sonos music while connected to your wifi, but is not battery powered, since no Sonos devices are.
Good one, Bruce:-) - The EV also will not do Hi Res in any manner.