Answered

what is the power use of Sonos 1 when in use and when idle

• 5 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Straight answer needed - no opinions
icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 June 2018, 19:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There are no specs for in use, it varies by volume, codec, etc. Here's a link to idle power usage for each Sonos device:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256?language=en_US
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Best option for finding power use, aside from idle, is to grab a Kill-A-Watt or similar meter and plug your Sonos into it and monitor your usage. They start at around $20 and get fancier for a few bucks more.
I have 3 play 1s. I connected them to an energy monitor plug. My voltage is 240 Volts.

They range from 14-17 Watts when idle and when playing music softly. At medium volume they draw 19 Watts and when loud over 20. The Wattage tends to spike immediately after changing the volume and then it settles down to a lower level. The max observed was 29 Watts which corresponded to a couple of seconds after turning the volume up high, after that it dropped to ~20 Watts. Turning the volume down to zero resulted in 16 Watts usage.

I think I have an issue with my play 1s such that they are not idling correctly as they are supposed to be drawing 3.8 Watts when idle.

I would be interested in seeing other peoples numbers.