Question

What does the SUB placement adjustment do?

• 26 January 2014
  • 8 replies

See the sub placement adjustment on the iPad controller (on or off). What do the on and off settings do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello William,

Simply put, the audio signal coming from a subwoofer in the form of a sine wave, placement adjustment flips that signal 180 degrees. This can change the sound depending on the room your system is setup in.

Cheers.
Hello William,

Simply put, the audio signal coming from a subwoofer in the form of a sine wave, placement adjustment flips that signal 180 degrees. This can change the sound depending on the room your system is setup in.

Cheers.

I have my sub in a fire place behind my tv it is upright. Should I have PA on or off plz?
Hello William,

Cheers.

No one can say for sure due to the unique accoustical properties of your particular room.  Try it both ways and choose what sounds best.
Badge
So technically the 180 degree flip is suppose to take place when the subwoofer is in the opposite wall of the where the display is. So if the TV is in the front of the room and the sub is in the rear of the room then the box should be highlighted "on." Otherwise if the sub is in the front with the display then the box would be "unchecked" off. But going with jgatie's suggestion of trying it both ways works also. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So technically the 180 degree flip is suppose to take place when the subwoofer is in the opposite wall of the where the display is. So if the TV is in the front of the room and the sub is in the rear of the room then the box should be highlighted "on." Otherwise if the sub is in the front with the display then the box would be "unchecked" off. But going with jgatie's suggestion of trying it both ways works also. Cheers!

No. Everything you wrote apart from following jgatie's suggestion is complete nonsense. As Ryan S noted the Placement Adjustment switch will flip the output by 180 degrees - so consider a sine wave reflected about the x-axis. This is something worth doing because the wavelength of the Sub sound waves are relatively long - they are of the same order as the size of objects (doors, cupboards, chairs and so on) so changing the phase of the signal can make a difference to the sound that you experience.
I don't know if TruePlay will affect this setting - I suspect TruePlay won't switch it on or off so it really is a case of trying it either way.
Stuart is correct. The Sub Placement Adjustment is a phase shift. Basically it means it electronically swaps the + and - connections on the Sub input so the speaker phase is flipped (i.e., the speaker moves out when it used to move in and vice versa). This can eliminate standing waves (null spots) where the sound wave reflections interact and the combination of the trough of one sine wave passing through the crest of another causes nullification or "dead" zones.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the Sub in the front or back of the room. Matter of fact, without sophisticated sound wave analysis hardware/software, nobody can predict what it will do in any particular room regardless of Sub placement.
I don't know if TruePlay will affect this setting
There is no Placement Adjustment switch if the room's been Trueplay tuned. SUB phase has been taken care of.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't know if TruePlay will affect this setting
There is no Placement Adjustment switch if the room's been Trueplay tuned. SUB phase has been taken care of.

Thanks ratty. Perhaps I should have checked mine.