Question

What do you mount your Play5s on?

• 22 November 2016
  • 15 replies

Badge
Do you buy speaker stands or just plop them on top of a table or shelf?

I just setup a pair of Play5s myself. For now, I have them sitting on some large speaker stands that I had from previous speakers.
I need a more permanent solution.

What do other folks do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Which PLAY:5 generation? I have a pair of Gen2 perched vertically on these (which in turn sit on a solid slab). They're more sturdy than they may appear, and have more WAF than the average speaker stand.
Which PLAY:5 generation? I have a pair of Gen2 perched vertically on these (which in turn sit on a solid slab). They're more sturdy than they may appear, and have more WAF than the average speaker stand.

Interesting - what do they look like with the speakers in place? And when the Play 5s are used vertically, do they fire upwards, due to the shape of their cabinets?

Maybe a silly question, but are the front badges adjustable? i.e. can they be reversed?
what do they look like with the speakers in place?
Err... like a PLAY:5 sat in the middle of a 30x30x50cm pedestal.

And when the Play 5s are used vertically, do they fire upwards, due to the shape of their cabinets?

Yes, they obviously fire slightly above the horizontal, which suits my seating position.

Maybe a silly question, but are the front badges adjustable? i.e. can they be reversed?

They're an integral part of the grille, and horizontal when the PLAY:5 is vertical. Reverse them? So they say SONOS backwards?! The logo is itself reversible/invertible.
The logo is itself reversible/invertible.

Yes, that's what I was getting at - so that whichever way round you choose to position them, the logos would still read correctly.
whichever way round you choose to position them, the logos would still read correctly.
Right. Obviously if you orient a PLAY:5 Gen2 horizontally then you have to lie down to read the logo.
whichever way round you choose to position them, the logos would still read correctly.
Right. Obviously if you orient a PLAY:5 Gen2 horizontally then you have to lie down to read the logo.

Yes, I agree - having a logo that's always at a 90deg angle is rather sloppy design...
having a logo that's always at a 90deg angle is rather sloppy design...
With a speaker with a moulded grille which can adopt either horizontal or vertical orientation you can't win. A rotatable logo would be messy and potentially impinge on the drive-unit apertures.

We've moved on from the old days of veneered timber enclosures, grille cloth and a little badge pinned to the front.
A rotatable logo would be messy and potentially impinge on the drive-unit apertures.

Odd, because one of Sonos product pictures shows a gen2 Play 5 without a grill, and the logo seems to obscure part of one of the drivers.

We've moved on from the old days of veneered timber enclosures, grille cloth and a little badge pinned to the front.

Well, some of us have 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Some of the finest speakers ever made were from B&W, Rogers Studio Monitors and Spendor. Old fashioned looking by today's standards but sometimes style dominates over substance. After all isn't the sound what speakers should be all about?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have the Flexon Play 5 stands which are really well made...I like them
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
White stand with white Play:5's & white Sub
Ratty, you have good taste, I really like those stands/tables. Canadian retailers for the FLEXION products are not as common as i would like. We have a large retailer that does carry them however the new design from flexion, for the plays 1's were on sale for $80.00 off at $ 200.00 or $400.00 for the pair, almost the equivalent price of a pair of play 1's. I've also looked at flexions vertical stands for the play 5's (2nd gen) but they don't look that sturdy for such an expensive speaker, also they are not universal to accept both horizontal and vertical placements
If you're in Canada, you could probably also order the Flexsons from Amazon. They certainly carry them here in the States.
Your right, We have Bestbuy here in Canada, I'm always skeptical of returns, amazon charges, best buy, has no questions asked for 30 days. Having said that, near impossible to see one in person, before slapping down my plastic
Ah, I hadn't understood your desire to physically see them before the purchase, but I can totally understand that. Yes, Best Buy carries it here, but I can't think of a single store that I visit semi-regularly in the environs of San Francisco/Silicon Valley that I've ever seen them carry any stock of anything Flexson. I've bought all of my various Flexson stuff off of Amazon, and been pleased with every bit so far, despite the fact that I didn't get a chance to see it before hand, but that's me.

Perhaps you could drop an email to Flexson to see if there are any stores in your area that would actually carry the stands in stock, so you could see them? Or talk to the manager of the local Best Buy and see if he'd be willing to get a set in stock for you to look at before you pull the trigger on a purchase.

Good luck!