What are your favorite Sonos units / combinations

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Many of us have about all the different Sonos speakers in different configurations.

Which combination have you found your favorite for different situations.

Recently - I finally setup a full 5.1 system permanently when I moved around speakers in some rooms. In my sunroom I now have playbar, sub, and 2 Play:1s. I'm actually amazed how much I like it even for regular music. It has definitely become my favorite room for listening to music.

My least used room is probably my Living Room. Here I have a Pioneer Elite receiver and some very good B&W speakers and B&W sub (leftovers from when I had a wired surround system with all B&W that I split up). This theoretically should be my best sounding room but I in fact rarely play music on it. Convenience so much outways what could be perceived quality in this case.

I have a Connect:Amp in my bar that actually is one of my most used setups. I keep an old iPhone 6 plus in here on a cradle as a dedicated controller. Connected to the AMP are some cheaper Polk speakers and Polk Subwoofer. Its and adequate system but I don't think sounds as good as many of my Sonos speaker only rooms. I really should move the B&W speakers in this room but they are a little to large.

My actual most used speaker is my Kitchen Play:5 just because that is area we are in most of the time. Its convenient and sounds great. This about the only room I use voice control in as I do find it convenient being a kitchen to not use my hands for controller and being able to play 1 quick song (my other area I use voice is the Sonos One in bathroom for similar reasons). Pretty much don't use voice control except in those 2 cases - I still very much enjoy using the Sonos application to browse music.

Curious as to others here favorites when it comes to setups and control.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For control I use a number of Android tablets, the wife has three CR-100s that she is really going to miss.

I have three Play 5s around the house, one over the cabinets in the kitchen, one on a bookshelf in the master bedroom and one on an end table by my favorite chair in our main room. I have a pair of Play 3s above my computer desk and I'm moving two new Play 1s around trying various things, one is in my bathroom right now and I'm using one as a portable unit that I carry around as needed.

My Play 5s are normally used at background levels or lower so they are more than adequate, I could probably get by with 3s in their stead but the low end is weaker which I didn't care for. The pair of 3s is often used a bit louder and the missing low end is very apparent compared to a 5. Likely to add a Sub here before any other location. The 1s are good enough but in anything but a small room they suffer in direct comparison to the 3s.

I have two nice music systems here running off ZP-80s but I'm finding I spend less and less time listening to them as it is an aggravation compared to tapping one button on the Play units.

I do use the connects fairly often to drive headphones off the RCA outputs and that is quite handy when family are sleeping. If I find a set of Bluetooth headphones I like I'll wire a BT transmitter to the RCA jacks and not have to deal with my 25 foot headphone cord.

I'm less and less enthused with 5.1 setups for music and finding plain old stereo more attractive. We don't do much TV and few movies so we aren't looking at Sonos for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was really into home theater and 5.1 when DVDs first came out. Then I guess I had kids and never had time for movies and got completely out of it. Having must put my sonos into 5.1 configuration is the first time since I moved about 8 years ago that I have an actual 5.1 setup.

Sorry about the CR100's your wife is loosing .... hopefully she adjusts to the androids.

The Sonos One in the bathroom is a great combination. Great to ask weather in morning. Get morning news. Ask for a song before get in the shower. Just a great way to utilize it.

Yea - the like your ZP80's I have 2 connects that are hooked to legacy amps and hardwired speakers. And they just aren't convenient and I never play to them.

I do have one connect that I do use all the time - that one I have hooked with the output from my computer to the Connect and then the Connect outputting to my powered computer speakers on my desktop. Thus making my powered computer speakers Sonos speakers (so I can play music when on my computer) and allows my computer to output to all Sonos speakers in the house (giving me flexibility to play music from any website / youtube etc. throughout my house).
Connect Amp + Sub controlled with a CR100 and an Echo Dot on line-in. Echo functions sound good spoken through the amp and the CR100 is ideal for browsing my local music library. Not using the beta Alexa skill.
While puttering around in the kitchen, asking Alexa to play the news, find a recipe, set a timer, or listen to some jazz on the Sonos One stereo pair.

When working in my small home office, a pair of Play:1s, at ear level, near field, voice controlled via a Dot, sound fantastic. These are just superb mini monitors.

In the evening, in the living room, some jazz on the big QUAD ESL-63s, driven by a Connect:Amp, sounds excellent. Will often use TunesMap on AppleTV to visualize the album currently playing on the TV, and explore the artist in the TunesMap app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Many of us have about all the different Sonos speakers in different configurations.

Which combination have you found your favorite for different situations. ...

Curious as to others here favorites when it comes to setups and control.

Setup - ZP100 most rooms, PlayBar Sub & 2x Play 1s in the living room, Play 5s, Play 3s & Play 1s in the remaining rooms

Control - 7x CR100s, Wall mounted in the; hall, landing, garage and bathroom. With other CR100s on; bedside tables and living room coffee table.

Favorite Situation - When we have guests in, passing a CR100 to one guest to create a playlist from our NAS without having to explain how it works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nice cr100 commercials

Tunesmap I looked at and need to try out. I have my appletv hooked to my living room tv again so I need to take a look. I had forgotten about.
Userlevel 7
I can't say I have favorite setup...but then again I guess I do "Duh" :P

I have Play 5 (2Gen) x 2 with sub / Playbar w/sub and Play 3 x 2 (surrounds) / Sonos One x 2. Now here's the kicker...They're all in the same space. Hear me out before you call me crazy.

My Flat screen of course utilizes the HT setup; but I also like to listen to my music in the same room. I'm a bit of a purist and don't really like the Playbar for music as IMO it adds unwanted coloring therefore the Play 5's and sub. That said I enjoy siting in my theater chairs to watch movies and listen to a lot of smooth jazz.

The Sonos One's come into play for entertaining in the same space to add continuity to the rear of the room which opens to the an enclosed room that opens to a deck area. I also have two more Sonos One's elsewhere that are portable when need be.

Like you Chris, I have a full DD5.1 wired speaker system_Definitive Technology brand. It's old school with a Denon DVD player, B&O turntable (yes I have about 500 albums :8), Sony ES CD Player with Optical out (it was real high-end 25 years ago), Pioneer Laser disc (30 discs), Sony ES Mini Disc player and Sony ES Tape deck dual transport w/Dolby S. Sonos Connect on TapeOut 2. I'll wait a minute while you pick yourself up off the floor from laughing 😉 All I can say is EVERYTHING works!.

I also have Echo Show and Google Home integrated with Sonos. I'm not completely in the Dark Ages...🆒

Thanks for putting the invitation out to share my setup. Cheers
Badge +1
Currently, my Sonos setup looks like this. I'm using two Play:1 speakers, the SUB and the BOOST in my home office.

In my Living Room, I'm using two Play:5 speakers and utilizing the Line In with the audio from my HDTV.

Controllers are with the desktop program and my iPad.
Great thread! I love talking about this stuff with other people who understand the addiction ?

Downstairs, I have two rooms setup. The Living Room has the Playbar 5.1 w/the Playbar and Sub in the front of the room and the Play:1s wall mounted in the back. In the kitchen I have 2 One's in stereo pair and a Sub.

Upstairs I have 3 rooms setup, the master, bathroom, and hallway; the master and bathroom have Ones and the hallway has a Play:1. I tend to keep these grouped all the time.

There's a 12.9" iPad that stays in the kitchen we use as the primary controller, but there's also an old iPod Touch upstairs for the same purpose. I've disabled Alexa on all the Ones except the bathroom because its just become annoying.

The way it's set up, when everything is grouped you can move about most of the house and hear music easily. I need one more One to complete the upstairs at some point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I love my Living Room setup. I don't have a PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE so I use a pair of Sonos Ones along with a SUB that is usually grouped with a CONNECT that feeds Sonos to my KRK's through the Pioneer DJM-850.

On the go (hotels, etc.), my routine complaint is "Why doesn't this hotel/place have Sonos?" I love being able to take one of my PLAY:5 Gen2's along with my iPhone Charging Dock. The charging dock allows me to charge my phone while sending line out audio to the PLAY:5. 🆒
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Oh wow. Play:5 is great but it’s darn heavy for Travel.
I am new to Sonos, but i am loving it. Have two play 1's and the Sub in my living room. I will be adding more as time goes on. Blown away by the sound of the Play 1's with the Sub. I love the simplicity of it all.
It's so true. When I added the Sub to my Play Ones I could't believe what a difference it made. That is a legit paring for sure.