Waterproof Speakers in Bathroom

• 22 August 2006
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
How much do I really need to worry about steam/moisture/humidity in an en-suite bathroom?

I'm planning on setting up speakers in this area and don't know which ones to get. I want a good quality sound and hate ceiling speakers so I'd plan for them to be at the top of the wall at ceiling height.

Would the hot shower kill my speakers? There is an extractor fan that clears the room of steam fairly well, but during a shower I get a layer of condensation on all the tiles and the window. It's no winter yet.

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

RO53BEN,

I've had more trouble with the grills rusting than the speakers failing.

Avoid the outside wall if you can. A cold wall behind the speaker is more likely to cause condensation. Obviously, don't spray directly on the speakers.

I would expect that you would get at least several years out of a quality speaker. I don't know the ultimate life of a speaker in that environment because they haven't been failing. (10+, 15+ years)

I really don't like to get into bashing brands on these forums, but brand "B" is a very bad choice. In my experience, one or two seasons outside and they are history.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Brand B? Do you mean Bose?

So you're saying that the Bose environmental speakers aren't as hardy as one might hope?

I'm actually planning to use Bose as I believe they provide higher quality base in rooms with little furnishing.

In the case of my en-suite, I'm talking tiled floor, tiled walls to the ceiling, enamel bath and granite counter top! It's going to take something to balance the bass with the treble in that room!
Userlevel 2
I'm toying with the idea of these (for outside) they seem to be corrosion proof.

http://www.simplysonos.co.uk/acatalog/Outdoor.html
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
These are the ones I'm looking at...

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertainment/outdoor-environmental-speakers/151/index.jsp

Seems overkill for a bathroom though.
I am using Canton 70s in the ceiling. The bass basically depends on the correct volume behind them, and it's more than I like to use.

The Cantons are sealed and made of plastics and aluminum, so it should be safe for rusting. The grills are powder-coated, I'll have to wait and see how they hold up. I wouldn't use them outdoors though.
Userlevel 2
These are the ones I'm looking at...

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertainment/outdoor-environmental-speakers/151/index.jsp

Seems overkill for a bathroom though.

Very nice. The white I presume. Or are you going for a bachelor pad look?

🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I am using Canton 70s in the ceiling. The bass basically depends on the correct volume behind them, and it's more than I like to use.

Precisely why I don't like ceiling speakers, along with the accoustics being all wrong for me. It has to be a wall speaker.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Very nice. The white I presume. Or are you going for a bachelor pad look?

:)

Yeah, the white would suit the en-suite just perfect.

Actually considering 2 pairs off one ZP as a "bathrooms" zone.
Userlevel 2
Is this for Dr Evils mini me?

http://www.pbase.com/jaffacake/image/60704407

Sorry.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Is this for Dr Evils mini me?

http://www.pbase.com/jaffacake/image/60704407

Sorry.

Hahaha, yes...we did laff. I called the builder and explained I'd be lucky to wash my ass under that.

They thought the shower head would just be used when bathing...not for showering. It's been moved and re-tiled since.

Incidentally, the wardrobe on the left in the walk through closet area has cat5 and power ready for the bathroom zone player 🙂
Brand B? Do you mean Bose?

So you're saying that the Bose environmental speakers aren't as hardy as one might hope?

I'm actually planning to use Bose as I believe they provide higher quality base in rooms with little furnishing.

[ ... ]

Yes.

In fairness, I used the 150's. There was a stunning difference in life outdoors. The 150's would look bad after the first year and die after two or three years and I don't yet know how long the other speakers will last.

If you are using onwall speakers, my comment about cold outside walls is almost irrelevent. I was assuming inwall speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
hmmm, what to do?

Need more sale or return on these things.
Do you mean the 151s? I have head a set of these (black) out on the dock for several years now with no problems. They even still look ok. I wonder if they were having problems with some of these and not others?

Yes.

In fairness, I used the 150's. There was a stunning difference in life outdoors. The 150's would look bad after the first year and die after two or three years and I don't yet know how long the other speakers will last.

If you are using onwall speakers, my comment about cold outside walls is almost irrelevent. I was assuming inwall speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
What's the bass sound like on the 151s?
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
Just put a pair of Linn Diskreet in the shower. Sound great. I'm a happy camper:)