Virtual 7.1 Surround sound with Two Play 1's only - boredom experiment

• 12 February 2018
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 4
Now... I get bored so I thought of something!

I have a Sonos CONNECT to hand (was connected to the Samsung soundbar downstairs heh), Play 1 pair and SUB.

And I also have Dolby Atmos for headphones purchased because, well, I use it for gaming with, you guessed it, headphones! Basically, it turns your generic stereo headphones - any stereo headphones - into surround sound... Virtual surround sound might I add.

So I had a question in my head -- what if I position the pair of Play 1's directly to the left and right side of my head like headphones and use Dolby Atmos for headphones with a line-in source through the Connect?

So I try it and it sounds so damn cool. It might not be to par as the cans right over your ears but it is also damn close! I could easily play games that support this technology in virtual surround like Overwatch that has 7.1 virtual Atmos built in. I was shocked to feel like I was hearing things behind me with the Atmos demo. Crazy stuff!

Give it a try if you can/want it's surprisingly pleasant!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.