Using surround speakers independently by creating a new group.

How can I create different groups with the surround speakers in my living room? It seems that because they are already in the "living room" group, I cannot create a new group with the play 1 speakers. I would love to be able to use them independently as well, not just a supplement to my playbar and sub.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

I find it extraordinary that this feature doesn't exist. As with everyone else, I purchased the Sonos system for its "adaptability". I have my Play 1's paired for 5.1, but when the kids are watching TV and I'm in my study or outside, I'd love to listen to my music on the Play 1. To have to remove them and manually re-add them seem counter-intuitive. PLEASE address this SONOS.
I've heard many valid reasons for buying Sonos, but "adaptability" isn't one of them. On the contrary, they are pretty rigid in what they can and cannot do. If you got the opinion they were highly adaptable, you were off base.
I just unboxed two play ones that I was hoping to do the same with, wha a pain to constantly set up just to have what should already be a seamless experience.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I also find it painful and not intuitive to regroup the speakers. Technically, it's doable based on my software engineer background. This feature will be a big welcome to your Sonos customer. The app should allow us to create and save multiple speaker configuration and their truplay tune setting as well easily and not to remove and re-add and re-tune again.
Hi, I have x2 play 5’s hooked up in stereo / Tru play, can anyone help with the issue of one of my Play 5 (1st Gen) dropping out and then shown as a “?” On my list also it is not responding??? All of my other Sonos units are not affected and working.
Badge
It's not really necessary as in the Advanced settings you can set Music playback to "Full" which will use the Sub and surrounds in Full stereowhich would be virtually the same thing as removing surrounds and setting up a new stereo group with subis this still current/relevant? if i wanted to do this would i set my playbar sub and 2 3's up as surround?
is this still current/relevant? if i wanted to do this would i set my playbar sub and 2 3's up as surround?

Yes, the Full setting for music is still there and does exactly as stated. When you have a Playbar/Playbase setup with surrounds (with or without a Sub), setting it to "Full" will result in full volume from the surrounds speakers when playing music sources. However, the Playbar/Playbase plays full volume too, so it is not exactly the same thing as having just a pair of speakers with a Sub.
Badge
is this still current/relevant? if i wanted to do this would i set my playbar sub and 2 3's up as surround?

Yes, the Full setting for music is still there and does exactly as stated. When you have a Playbar/Playbase setup with surrounds (with or without a Sub), setting it to "Full" will result in full volume from the surrounds speakers when playing music sources. However, the Playbar/Playbase plays full volume too, so it is not exactly the same thing as having just a pair of speakers with a Sub.
thanks, i didn't catch that the playbar would play full also
In that same area, you can alter the volume of the PLAYBAR as desired.
It's not really necessary as in the Advanced settings you can set Music playback to "Full" which will use the Sub and surrounds in Full stereowhich would be virtually the same thing as removing surrounds and setting up a new stereo group with subI think im missing something as I dont see Music playback in advanced settings, any chance someone who understands this point can help me understand how to set this up. Many thanks
Badge
It's not really necessary as in the Advanced settings you can set Music playback to "Full" which will use the Sub and surrounds in Full stereowhich would be virtually the same thing as removing surrounds and setting up a new stereo group with subI think im missing something as I dont see Music playback in advanced settings, any chance someone who understands this point can help me understand how to set this up. Many thanksit may only show up when you set them up as surrounds???? but i don't know as i haven't tried it yet.
I would like to do something similar. I have 2 Sonos 1's that I want to use as surrounds sometimes and each separately at others. It seems that the simplest solution from an engineering perspective would be to allow rooms to be grouped to create 5.1 surround. So when you group rooms, you can designate each individual room as a stereo surround, a left surround , or a right surround. It is still not as convenient as being able to choose a different profile with a single click, but it makes the setup as simple as creating and removing a group within the app, rather than needing to climb up on cabinets to press buttons.
I definitely see the value in such a feature, I don't think it's really as easy as grouping. As I understand it, when in 5.1 mode, the playbar is essentially the 'master'' and sends out the audio signal to the surrounds and sub via. 5.0 wireless. Speakers that are not part of this 5.1 group communicate with each other over 2.4 wireless in a mesh network. I'm not saying that Sonos couldn't make changing back and forth more seemless, I don't really know, but I just don't think it's a no brainer feature.
Allowing the the Sonos system to remember different setups would be awesome. The "Full" setting is appreciated and sure comes in handy, but as this thread points out it does not cover all scenarios. It should be technically possible to automatically replicate the required steps that we have to go through? Not saying it's an easy fix, but would be well worth it for the overall experience and flexibility for the system. 😃
+1 to this request. I have an open living room/kitchen area with different Sonos speakers. It would be super helpful to be able to move surrounds in and out of the Beam TV system. And the Sub too - which would be good to link up to my Play 5. Even more of a pain than the bonding process is having to go through the Trueplay setup. This kind of configuration management, along with pre-defined groups, would make the system so much more user friendly.
No idea if these old threads get looked at, even though the updates are recent... Sonos??
I can confirm, every thread is looked at and feedback passed to the development teams too.

I don't have any news on this particular feature as to if or when, but it's on the list of your requests.

Thanks for reaching out!

+ 1 for the request. I am on the same boat. I have Sonos 5:1 configured with Beam and 2 Sonos 1. Here is what I would like to happen
1) Ability to configure "Room 2" and add the 2 Sonos One's to this "Room 2" (They are already part of "Room 1" 5:1 setup)
2) When I want to listen to music only with Sonos One L/R setup I just click on Rooms in my Sonos App and select "Room 2"

It would be a huge help!