Question

Using Sonos Shelf (for Sonos One) in combination with Network Cable

• 6 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Anyone experience with using a network cable for a Sonos One put on a Sonos Shelf?

There doesn’t seem to be much space for a cable to go in and not bend the cable (bad for performance) as the space between the shelf and wall is so limited…

Was thinking of a flexible ethernet cable, but even these connector are rather big...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Why do you think bending the cable would be bad for performance?  To the best of my knowledge, cars have to slow down to take bends but digital data doesn’t.

As these Ethernet connectors are large, i can’t fit the cable between the speaker and the wall.  There just isn’t enough space.  Even by bending it more than 90 degrees (which is not a good idea as Ethernet cables can quickly degree in performance) it would not fit.

Wanted to check whether someone knows about flexible cable that have a rather small connector.

PS I am interested to see how a car would take a 100 degree bend ;-) (Liked you comparison...)

Presumably the cable runs downwards from the Ethernet port. Two possibilities spring to mind:

• use a flat Ethernet cable, which can take pretty sharp bends in one direction
  • use a cable terminated with a right-angle RJ45 connector

Thanks ratty.  Will go for the flat cable as they also tend to have a smaller connector. I noticed that the angled connectors are also quite large.  

If only Sonos could have put the Ethernet connector a bit more inwards the speaker....

It might make more sense for Sonos to make their speakers WiFi enabled, so there is ultimately no need for a permanent Ethernet cable connection....

It might make more sense for Sonos to make their speakers WiFi enabled, so there is ultimately no need for a permanent Ethernet cable connection....

… and terminating SonosNet? Halloween is on 31th Oct., not today, to the best of my knowledge. :no_mouth: