Question

Using Sonos outside my home, with Wifi tethering from my phone

• 18 August 2016
  • 18 replies

I want to be ale to take my Sonos Play 1 somewhere and have instant good sound, in a hotel or a friend's home. Just plug the Sonos to the wall and use my phone to publish a Wifi network, which Sonos connects to and plays. I realize that service quality depends on how good my data feed is to my phone, but it should be good enough, otherwise it seems its just a software job to implement it..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

I haven't tried this. I'm not sure that your phone would be able to see the Sonos on its network, but give it a try and let us know.
I tried to figure out if it could be done, but I could not. I think its a feature that would need to be developed in the SONOS App. If you can tell me how to do it I'd appreciate it. My phone is an Android, I can see SONOS net.
You can do this but there's two issues: 1) you'd have to configure Sonos to connect to your phone's hot-spot BEFORE you leave home and 2) whilst Sonos will connect to the phone's hot-spot the phone can't be used as a controller whilst it's in that mode, it isn't connected to the wireless network that it has created, so you'd need a second mobile device to use as a controller, also connected to the hot-spot.
Cool! I will try it, but its not very practical.
Cool! I will try it, but its not very practical.

Be that as it may, it's not Sonos fault. Your phone is not part of the hot-spot network, there isn't much Sonos can do about that.
You can do this but there's two issues: 1) you'd have to configure Sonos to connect to your phone's hot-spot BEFORE you leave home and 2) whilst Sonos will connect to the phone's hot-spot the phone can't be used as a controller whilst it's in that mode, it isn't connected to the wireless network that it has created, so you'd need a second mobile device to use as a controller, also connected to the hot-spot.

Hi
How would you configure Sonos to connect the phone hot-spot? The controller expects SONOS to be connected to the WiFi router viq Ethernet to allow setup.
As I understand the response, you need two mobile devices, with one device you publish a hotspot, with a second device you connect to the first device's hotspot and configure SONOS to run both the speakers and the controller app on the second device using the published hotspot. I don't understand why you need to set this up while on your home network, but I will take LHC's word for it.
As I understand the response, you need two mobile devices, with one device you publish a hotspot, with a second device you connect to the first device's hotspot and configure SONOS to run both the speakers and the controller app on the second device using the published hotspot. I don't understand why you need to set this up while on your home network, but I will take LHC's word for it.

You need to be able to connect to your Sonos devices in order to change their wireless configuration to the phone's hot-spot. You can only do that while everything is connected to a pre-existing network, which is usually most people's home network.
You can set this tethering arrangement up in the absence of a home network, but the Sonos units would have to be factory reset first.

You need to be able to connect to your Sonos devices in order to change their wireless configuration to the phone's hot-spot. You can only do that while everything is connected to a pre-existing network, which is usually most people's home network.

LHC,
any hint how to do that? via the controller?
Hint? It's right there, under Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup.
I do something similar to this, when I go on holiday in the motorhome. I take a Play-1 speaker with me and set it up as though it was just another house. I sometimes use either a Huawei mifi device (E5776), or occasionally (instead) my iPhone, to broadcast a wifi network (hot-spot) signal.

I usually setup my iPad (controller) or my wife's iPhone (controller) to join that same wifi network as 'another house'.

I then connect (add Player/Sub setup) the Play-1 speaker to the same wifi hotspot (note: I reset the speaker to set it up on the new network) ... The controller simply adds the speaker in the usual way.

I just use a different email address to setup the other 'house' network.

I tend to reset the speaker again when I return home, but you can change things back in Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup instead if you want to, but I find it easier to just reset the device and add it back to my my home network.

It is true you cannot use one device as both the hotspot (router) and the controller ... So two separate devices are needed.
Thanks!, everyone thinking outside the box.
I'm still not getting this. I have a Sonos 5, connected to my home WiFi. I'm using the controller on my Mac.

If I go to advanced/Wireless Setup, it then prompts me for a network name, but there are no options in the dropdown. I've tried entering the name of my mobile hotspot and password, but it doesn't find it. What should be entered as the Network Name?

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi RubiconCSL, usually if the dropdown is empty, it's because the networks in the area aren't readable by your Sonos player. Can you check that your wireless is on 2.4GHz and not n only?

If you're able to connect the player when wired into the network, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
It is probably a lot easier to just get a Bluetooth speaker to address these situations. They are quite good now, even when a lot smaller than the play 1, at about the same price point.
Agree that Bluetooth is going to be the easiest way. Although I can see where you may want more for camper or some use intended for days on end.

I thought about using a wifi range extender. It essentially could take a wife signal and output an Ethernet connection. Thus you could hardwire the sonos device into your network. However, I think the range extender would have similar setup issues as the sonos device.

I wonder if you could use a laptop? First setup your wifi network. Then connect the sonos device directly to the laptop. Use the laptop controller to setup wireless configuration for sonos. Then disconnect sonos from the laptop, setup the laptop on wifi, and then control sonos with the laptop. Not sure that would work, as I thought atleast one sonos device had to be hardwired.

Here's another thought, if you are using a sonos device with a line in. If you set the device to source from line in, take the device off the network and press the play on the device itself, will it play line in? I understand you wouldn't be able to control by phone, but if the device remembers that line in as it's source, it doesn't technically need a network to operate. I doubt that would work since that wasn't the original purpose.

But again, this is what Bluetooth is for.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for Sharing, Here in Manila we have pocket wifi devices, will definitely try to use that outdoor on my play1s.