Question

Using Play 1 speakers for TV audio

• 22 November 2013
  • 17 replies

How could I use my Sonos Play1 speakers for my Sony HD TV output? My DirecTV box is connected directly to the same router as the Sonos bridge, but not sure how to make the connection thru the router or do I need another direct cable between the DirecTV box or TV and Sonos Bridge? My Sony TV has built-in WiFi also thru the same router could that be utilized somehow? I currently use its optical audio output to an external speaker, is that a possibility? Stumped

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Marcus,

Every Sonos player is designed to fill a different part of your home with music. For a TV speaker we designed the PLAYBAR which has an Optical port to connect your TV for both enhanced audio quality and minimized latency. All Sonos players have access to our music partners and the local music libraries, along with the Line-In hooked up to any component. But the PLAY:1 speaker doesn't have a Line-In port built in itself.

Cheers.
Userlevel 1
Why did you not put an aux in the play 1?! This means we can't use youtube, TV, ipad movies and games, on holiday, on trips, at friends, etc! Nor can we use the better discovery experience of using deezer etc apps rather than the limited sonos version. This is a really stupid omission by Sonos!
I agree, this dumb of Sonos! Time to switch to Bose!
Yes Kevin. But then you'd have to listen to Bose speakers. Bose have managed to persuade the general public that they are high end. A triumph of marketing. Every Bose product I have heard has been mediocre and overpriced. Sonos had a target price for the Play:1 and spent the money on sound quality. So you pays your money and takes your choice. You are indeed free to look elsewhere and Sonos isn't right for everyone. That doesn't make Sonos dumb.
Hello Marcus,

Every Sonos player is designed to fill a different part of your home with music. For a TV speaker we designed the PLAYBAR which has an Optical port to connect your TV for both enhanced audio quality and minimized latency. All Sonos players have access to our music partners and the local music libraries, along with the Line-In hooked up to any component. But the PLAY:1 speaker doesn't have a Line-In port built in itself.

Cheers.

Dear Sonos, how much € to get a Line-In port in my Play1? PLAYBAR is just too expensive for starters.
Userlevel 1
Yes Kevin. But then you'd have to listen to Bose speakers. Bose have managed to persuade the general public that they are high end. A triumph of marketing. Every Bose product I have heard has been mediocre and overpriced. Sonos had a target price for the Play:1 and spent the money on sound quality. So you pays your money and takes your choice. You are indeed free to look elsewhere and Sonos isn't right for everyone. That doesn't make Sonos dumb.
I have both and agree Sonos sound is better, but this makes the Sonos decision  to have no line-in on the Play:1 even more stupid!  We are talking about a tiny cost/price increase!  
I don't have room for a soundbar beneath my TV - but I do have room on the sides - shame I can't use sonos........
😞
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I don't have room for a soundbar beneath my TV - but I do have room on the sides - shame I can't use sonos........
:(

Why can't you? The sonos connect, sonos connect:amp, and sonos play 5 all have line-in

hmm, good point of course - guess I need to go find me some speakers to plug into a connect:amp :)

edit: Analog audio only, hmm...

totally with the soundbar a poor fit and 2 ones on the sides of the hdtv would be perfect on my tv stand.... in white too....would be perfect...off to shop for other options.
"Bose have managed to persuade the general public that they are high end. A triumph of marketing. Every Bose product I have heard has been mediocre and overpriced."

I was actually thinking the exact same thing about Sonos. I was gifted two Play 1s and it is a horrible product for the price point. The lack of functionality is this day and age is just absurd. 

"Designed to fill a different part of your room" shouldn't preclude Sonos from making a functional product 
Can I use my play5 with my tv? Surely the app can be updated or a small plug in device is available to make the two compatible? Surely!
Hi Sam.  You should be able to as the Play:5 has line-in port for a 3.5mm jack.  You might run a line from the audio out RCA stereo port or run from the TV headphone socket.  You would need a suitable cable.  There is no way to send the sound wirelessly from the TV to the Play:5 - the TV just doesn't have the technology.
Just got a play one. And agree with a lot of comments on this topic. I to, am really disappointed that I can not have more use out play one than what I am now limited to. Cant use it with TV on its own. Need a soundbar, which is currently out my budget.
Wireless is great, but whats the point if I am even more limited now what I can do with a speaker system? I have music on my xbox I cant get that to play through the play one.
Furthermore, if I want to plug it into my laptop, I am again limited cant do that. If I want to stream music on Spotify I can only use spotify and my sonus if I have a subscription with Spotify. I mean whats the point of wireless speakers if I just loose all my normal use and typical functionality I would get out my wired speakers, which quality of the system is off the charts already?
Now that I am experienced with the sonus and its user experience. I believe the company values are set up to be more a walled garden. Sonus you just became a joke in my eyes!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
JSM,

Many users have come to this site to be somewhat frustrated with the Sonos system not doing what they *expected* it to do... but let's be clear that the company or the Play 1 marketing details never said it would do what you are asking.

The primary use of Sonos gear is not to have a single independent speaker (which it can do well, but it is NOT a computer speaker) it IS multi-room multi-speaker synchronized music system. "All the music in the world, in every room of your house" as they say. The entire infrastructure of the system is designed around meeting this use case to the very best ability. As a result it doesn't meet your use case. That isn't their problem unless they were trying to meet your need or needed to to be successful... but the truth is that today they are not. (they may move this way in the future... but I'm not certain I see that happening.) You may not see what they do as complex, but it is. You may not value the ability to have music in 7 rooms through 16 devices all in perfect sync or in any combination... I do.

There are many options, like bluetooth speakers, that do a wonderful job of connecting to a device and allowing the device to "push" audio to them. The Sonos products are independent wireless devices that go retrieve their audio files as directed by a controller and play it. In perfect Sync, with any other grouped player. From many many many many music sources (you can set up library's of local music that you have so the system can source your music) as well as many many services (not just Spotify, but Yes, a premium account is needed... that is Spotify's constraint... not Sonos'...) and other streaming audio you can point the system to using a URL.

Yes, the environment may appear to be more "closed" and controlled, but that certainly enables the complexity of what the Sonos System does so well be managed and delivered. They clearly are not "a joke".. they are an amazing tool. But it seems perhaps not one you desire. However.... If you bought a bottle of excellent wine and are ticked because it isn't coke.... that isn't the wine's fault.
Thanks for our opinion. See you more than passionate about this product hence the lecture I just received. I agree the tech is good. And no, my use case is all about flexibility as much as ease of use. No doubt the sound quality and multi room sound is good and seemingly leading the pack. I wont knock that. But actually I can knock it, you see I am a consumer with feedback good or bad. Totally fair or not. But I believe my comments are good fair and what I as a consumer want. Is that not the point of these posts and reviews... Plus lets be clear I'm buying a speaker system at the end of the day.

And to your point on their marketing. Here I quote, "Home theater for music lovers. Epic sound for all your movies, games and TV shows. Streams music, too. For those times when all you need is a song". What did I miss from that statement? As I infer exactly what any person would. Hence my total disappointment. Furthermore I stand by been upset about not having additional capabilities with my play 1. Its a fair statement. Also I hate the walled garden approach. Claim to be compatible with so many providers yet only if you subscribe to the service. Please...

Lastly, if a soundbar and a sub as well as two play one speakers can be a home theater setup. And I am told through there marketing that I can add as many to the system as I need. Well then I should rightly be able to assume a play one is compatible with my tv.

So yes, I am still standing by saying that I am bumbed about my Sonos buy. Waist of money!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
No lecture intended JSM, just wanting to be articulate and discuss. And I fully agree that consumer input is a nesessity or any product manufacturer is dead in the water.

I hear you that some of Sonos' marketing truly speaks to what 'Sonos' can do, as opposed to what a specific device can and can't do. However, I guess that is't all that different from some other organizations. They have to paint the picture of what is possible... but that may require additional products to fulfill....

The PlayBar is the essential ingredient for home theatre. Your play 1 can only ever be one of a set of surrounds.... They could, perhaps, highlight that the PlayBar is the essential ingredient more... but given most people are now going to the PlayBar form, perhaps they don't see it as necessary. The PlayBar is, in my opinion, one of the products that will need develepment/augmentation to improve functionality in the future I think. Just my opinion, but I think it needs an HDMI input option... that could materially improve many people's experience trying to set it up with TVs that don't 'passthrough' 5.1 audio... (they are becoming fewer and fewer though) There is obviously an interest in enabling 7.1 surround - which it can't do, and I suspect may be a prettty big addition to make happen ... likely for a smaller market that would be interested... so I'm not sure it will happen... and while it sounds unbelievably good with the SUB, it does need the SUB to sound awesome... without it, well, it is very good...

I will note that the decision of what level of subscription is required for Sonos devices to retrieve their audio from a service is up to the service, not Sonos. I'm confident that Sonos would love to provide free access to everything, but that isn't there call.

However, if you want to power up an office space with awesome sound streaming independanty of any device (no interruptions when a phone call comes in, , etc) a pair of play 1's do an awesome job of it. 🆒