Answered

Using Bose speaker with Sonos

• 7 November 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a Bose Soundlink Air: https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/support/products/portable_speakers_support/soundlink_air.html and would like to connect it to my Sonos system. I already own a Sonos Bridge. Is it possible for me to connect the Bose speaker to the Sonos system? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Lucid AV 7 November 2017, 09:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Wirelessly? Sorry but no.

The Bose speaker is set up to play music from iPods and iPhones using Apple's Airplay Wi-Fi streaming facility. It won't connect to a Sonos network and appear on your Sonos Controller app, if that's what you're asking. I had a quick look at the manual and it doesn't even seem to support playing music files from a PC or NAS drive over a Wi-Fi network either.

The Soundlink does have an AUX input. If you have a Sonos Connect you could connect a cable from audio out on that to the AUX in on the soundlink and use the Bose as a speaker.
Thanks, that's pretty much the conclusion I'd reached but wanted to be absolutely certain. The Bridge I have doesn't have an aux input so cabling it doesn't seem to be an option.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Mark, the Sonos Boost and the Bridge devices aren't streaming players. In fact they have nothing at all to do with the playing of music. They are wireless access points. That means it's a way to get the Internet and your Sonos players talking to each other when running a direct ethernet cable from the router to a player would be impractical.

Look up "Sonos Connect". This is a speakerless music player designed for connecting to existing Hi-Fi and home cinema systems. It looks like a taller version of your bridge but that's where the similarities end.