using a speaker when Iphone is not in the house

• 3 February 2017
  • 4 replies

So my husband has his phone and computer hooked up to the Sonos account and we have unlimited wifi in our house. I just noticed that when he wasn't home and I pushed the button on the Sonos speaker that I got a playlist playing. I thought that was great but then I realized what wifi might that be using? Is it the wifi of our house even though he isn't here and his phone and computer aren't here? Or does the speaker in some way have some sort of storage so that it's playing a spotify playlist but it's still just using our home wifi. I would love to be able to turn on the speaker and have music but I don't want that to be some way using his wireless on his phone, if that makes any sense.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

the speaker in some way have some sort of storage so that it's playing a spotify playlist but it's still just using our home wifi.
Once a playlist it loaded, that is exactly what the speaker is doing; using the list in its memory to play Spotify using just the home Wifi.
If you have a phone with access to the home WiFi, you can install the free controller and do all that your husband can do in terms of selecting and playing the music you want to listen to.
thank you! i just wanted to make sure that I wasn't using his phone wifi instead of our home wifi. My phone is not wifi connnected so I don't care about the controls.
Fair enough, but it might be useful to know that you can do the control thing via a home WiFi connected computer as well.
Thanks again, Kumar. Unfortunately, I have a really old mac laptop and I actually can't load the Sonos app to it because of the operating system. When I finally upgrade my computer then I'll be able to do the controls. Thanks for your support.