upside down mounting

• 2 May 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi
Does it make any difference in term of sound quality and output if I mount my play 1 upside down on the wall?
Reason I do this so I can easily see status light access to the button

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi binh25

Welcome to the Sonos community

I do not see a problem with mounting any way you want. But... I do not ever touch or look at my speakers only, listen to them Not sure why you care about the buttons? I guess once in a while if the phone rings or the wife yells at me I have to press the mute button?
I am guessing it is so as to make the buttons on a high mounted speaker accessible. Upside down is fine, as long as the speaker is pointing to the general direction of the listening area.

I find the buttons to be very useful for the many times I don't know where I have misplaced my phone!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
yeah, I mount mine around 2+ m high and access to the power that power these speakers are in the attics which a hassle to get up 🙂 being able to see the status light at the glance I know if the speaker is on or off or has some other issues is more reassuring if there is no change in sound quality.
I've got a pair of Play:1s mounted in my kitchen/breakfast area using the Flexson mounts, which allow you to have the speakers upside down or right side up. I chose upside down as it hid the cables a little more since they're near the ceiling, but the sound is the same either way.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
The Play 1 contains a downward firing woofer that will be fired toward the ceiling when mounted upside down. That is the only difference.
What downward firing woofer? None that I know of!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
What? Lemme look again.. Well I guess it does face forward doesn't it?!
Lol, yes it does. As in the case of all play units. I don't know much about play bar/base, no use of that in my home.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Sorry, I have a bad habit of waking up and combing the forums while I'm still half asleep with my coffee..!