Answered

Updating 1st gen Connect

• 18 September 2020
  • 5 replies

I spent an hour on the phone with sonos tech support. Wow are they bad.. the person clearly didn’t know the product. And was putting me on hold to speak with someone else. 55 minutes later and the Rep. still had no clue what I was asking. Help!

what I am trying to do is setup a First Generation Sonos Connect 2004-2014 model. Last time this happened I had to call and support asked me for serial number and MAC address. They sent it an update remotely to get it working. Last time during setup tho it gave me an error code. 

this time the S1 app adds the Connect. And under rooms it says Product (unused) needs update. If you click update→ it says your system is up to date.  It also is stuck in a loop asking me to sign in to my account. 

please help! This only took 15 minutes last time this happened to get the update manually sent to the device to get it working. The person I spoke with was clueless. 

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 18 September 2020, 23:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Duffy311. Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate for bringing your concern. Your frustrations are completely understandable. I'll help you figure out what's happening. 

But first I'd like to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. When you were prompted to update, did you receive an error code?
  2. Have you tried running the update while your Sonos Connect is temporarily wired to your router?
  3. Also, may I know the make and model of the controller device you're using to access your Sonos system.

You can also submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system for me to check what's going on.

And about your Sonos account, you can open a browser from your mobile device or computer and check if you can access it.

If you're able to login successfully, it means there's no issue with your account. If the login failed, you can proceed to reset your Sonos password by clicking on the password reset.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

1. No
  2. Yes
  3. Sonos Connect Zone Player version 3.2. Hardware version: 1.1.16.4-1
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Duffy311

Thank you for your quick response and I appreciate you providing the answer to my questions.

Can you please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for me to check what’s going on?

If you’re using an iOs or Android mobile device, please turn off the mobile data/carrier data then try to run the update again.

Let me know if this works. We're here to answer any further questions you have.

I tried submitting diagnostics from the S1 app. It will not send. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Duffy311.  

​Thank you for reaching back to us and letting us know what's happening. My apologies for the inconvenience. It seems that your Sonos system unable to reach the Sonos cloud server to collect the diagnostic report.  

The next step that you can perform is to refresh your network devices, Sonos product, and mobile device in a sequential reboot.

A Sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.

1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
  3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
  4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After rebooting your systems and devices, please try to submit a diagnostic to see if it will work.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above, we're here to answer any further questions you may have.