Two Homepods Do NOT Equal One Play:5

• 28 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Brought home two Homepods yesterday and set them up as a stereo pair in a 14 x 14 bedroom. A/B tested them against a single Play 5 in the same room using Airplay and my own library of music. There was NO contest. I like to listen to music at high volumes and even at max volume, two Homepods could not "control" the space. As a longtime Apple customer I was pretty disappointed. The reviews concerning the music quality from the Homepods have been almost unanimously positive. I found them to be nothing special. In fact, the two Homepods went right back to the store this morning and were exchanged for another Play 5. The Play 5s easily control the space and give me what I wanted all along, a full sounding, emotionally involving musical performance. Having had the Homepods for an audition with my own music in my own home I have to say that they are very much a triumph of marketing over engineering.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I have to say that they are very much a triumph of marketing over engineering.Apple must be trying to copy Bose then 🙂
Was a guest at a house on the beach at Malibu yesterday. Two Play:5s in the main space. Sadly, didn’t get a chance to hear them. I’m sure they would have sounded great.