Question

Turntable cutting in and out.

• 28 October 2016
  • 12 replies

Badge +1
Just hooked up my turntable/preamp into sonos connect amp. It works fine when the setting are compressed and in and out when uncompressed. I would hate for my system to compress my files. Is there any way to get around this? I would like to get the best sound possible with these speakers.

As usual Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You home wifi obviously having trouble. You could submit a diagnostic and post here for Sonos to look at (settings ...advanced).

I would switch to using Sonosnet having one unit hooked to router.
Badge +1
Yea, my cable provider has terrible wifi. Interested in sonosnet.
The cable provider delivers internet data to your home. Your router distributes that wirelessly in your home. Only poor quality of the latter will cause the trouble you are referring to, and that is nothing to do with the cable provider.

If the home Wifi is having problems, so might Sonosnet, so don't switch till you have fixed the first.

Finally, are you sure that compressed is delivering poor quality that can actually be heard to be so, compared to uncompressed, when you do not know what setting is in use?
Badge +1
Yes, my cable provider provides my router. I'll be honest I haven't checked the difference because it really choppy when uncompressed. Is there a way I can check how much it's compressed?
The choppiness is because the WiFi cannot handle the uncompressed data; unfortunately there is no easy way for you to test if the sound quality that you hear will be better than compressed version to the extent you can hear the difference, if the choppiness was to be eliminated in uncompressed mode. Personally, I doubt there will be an audible difference other than choppiness going away.

If the Wifi is working well enough for all your other needs, the simplest thing to do at this time would be to leave the compressed mode selected, and enjoy the music! Even more so if the sound is of the same quality that the turntable delivered before you bought Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Go sonosnet to keep music off that home wifi. You will be much happier. Just hook any si glue Sonos device to your router and in settings advanced see Sonos channel to channel your router doesn't use (1,6,or 11 channels)
Badge +1
I've changed the channels and it makes no difference.
I've changed the channels and it makes no difference.

Have you wired a Sonos device to your router?
Badge +1
My soundbar is wired to the router.
Hi. Here is some general advice on avoiding interference, although this partly repeats advice already given on this thread. If problems continue, please do follow @Chris' advice to submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number back here.

If you have a Sonos component connected by Ethernet to your router, make sure it's at least three feet from the router and on a different channel (at least 5 channel numbers apart). Maybe try changing router channel as well. Do not have the router channel set to “Auto”. Are there other wireless devices near your router, such as a cordless phone or baby monitor, that might cause interference?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostics
Has anyone here toggled back and forth between compressed/uncompressed in a similar use and found audible differences in the sound? I haven't used line in for some time, hence the question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I noticed but it's been long time