Truly wireless - Battery Powered PLAY unit

Userlevel 5
Badge
I'd like to see Sonos develop: 1. a truly wireless Play:4, with docking station for charging the unit. 2. an add-on battery-pack for Play:3 and Play:5.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Clarification on why this is popular when other ideas clearly more popular are already tossed out as not planned?
Clarification on why this is popular when other ideas clearly more popular are already tossed out as not planned?
Huh? I think you are jumping the gun. I don't see where this idea has been given any designation at all.
Userlevel 3
Hello Johan, For item 1 in your post, if I were to rephrase your Idea, would it be safe to summarize as a portable/battery powered Sonos player ? Thanks Mike
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
No designation = stays in Popular column in view of all. Not Planned = harder to find, less likely to draw more support of other users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
My guess is yes it would. It's certainly been asked for enough in the forums. 🙂 Rechargeable base unit - not user replaceable as such.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Absolute, the wish (not only from me) is to be able to have the Sonos experience wherever I want not having to be restricted by having an outlet nearby. A portable/battery (rechargable) unit.
Userlevel 3
Thanks...I just wanted to be sure. I can tell you that this has been requested and being considered.
Userlevel 1
It would be awesome to have a zoneplayer that comes with a 'portable' option. This would allow users to 'undock' the zoneplayer from it's wired charging station (or something) and move the zoneplayer wireless to another place (outside, for example). During that part if would obviously have to run on batteries. This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Have a portable zoneplayer.
In the same trend, i would like to see a headphone (portable) device.
I would like to see this feature too. Use the Bose Sound dock to illustrate the idea here.
I'd love this as well. A nice portable sonos that I can move into rooms I'm not in frequently enough to warrant buying a dedicated unit or to take outside onto the balcony during the summer.
A kitchen radio-style Sonos player that could be battery operated would be a nice addition. Pretty please with sugar on.
Hi, There seem to be two similar threads on this topic: This one 'truly wireless' and also: 'outdoor speaker' Both threads have Mike C as the Sonos official rep, but Mike you haven't posted for 11 months. Is there any development in this area please? I think lots of us would like a portable Play3, and many would like to take it outside.
I would also the idea of a battery(rechargeable)/portable speaker. I regularly want my music outside or in the bathroom where there is no power. Currently for outside I have to run an extension and take one of my P5's outside. I guess version 2 could also double as a bluetooth speaker when out of range of the sonos network eg. on the beach.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
A new product should be easier to realize. And if.. please don't use proprietary battery packs and of course don't glue it. For the sake of the environment!
Userlevel 2
Agreed.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Battery powered Play 1. Play1 looks liek the perfect system to have music in the bathroom but the need for the power source is obviously a problem. Is Sonos looking at allowing Paly1 to be battery powered (rechargable)?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled A portable with a battery. I imagine I'm the 354th person to suggest this but I am looking forward to the Play with the rechargeable battery in it for use in the bathroom! If Squeezebox/Logitech can do it, I'm sure Sonos can.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled stop me buying a jambox. Can you please release a smaller more portable speaker? Something I can put on the balcony, take in the shower, take to the beach, take sailing or on holiday.

Ideally it should be

- smaller than the play 3
- durable
- splash/waterproof
- dustproof (i.e for the beach)
- good battery life
- storage space for cable or self coiling power cable to recharge
- not so expensive
- obviously compatible with my existing sonos components
- include a carry case
- lightweight
- include some more functional buttons like fast forward
- have a good switch which will not allow the device to be turned on when packed in my baggage

Thanks!

Roopesh
Having looked at the design of the Play:1, (but not seen one in the flesh), the power is supplied from the bottom of the unit. Maybe they are developing a rechargeable battery that the Play:1 can sit on!
You would have to consider Wi-Fi or Bluetooth... as portable may be out of range for your Sonos network, but not from your device (if it has some music library on it)... Then Bluetooth would work for headphones too, when back within network range... I experience this at a friend place, a wall was obstructing my iPhone, while his IPad was still in range... this was 7 ft just outside... This are issues I don't have with Jambox, thus the possibility to switch from Wi-Fi to Bluetooth when needed.
would love to rock a sonos at my husbands cyclocross races. And other tailgate situations.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd buy a couple!  Something like the Pioneer  A3 XW-SMA3-K but not as "muddy" sounding!
Add my voice to this request.  Most of the requests here are a little old (before there was a Play:1) and refer to the Play:3 and Play:5.  The killer version for me would be the Play:1 because of its small size and weight.  The battery should definitely be rechargeable (while still playing), but the battery time does not have to be terribly long - 3-4 hours would be plenty.

For comparison, you should look at the Tivoli Audio PAL radio.  It is a similar size and easy to carry around.  I have one and often carry it to a different room, or outside to do gardening or work on the car, or throw it in the laundry basket when going back and forth.  But, sadly, it is JUST A RADIO, not a SONOS!

I would definitely buy a Play:1 Portable if it were available.  Personally, I would probably not buy a Play:3 or Play:5 Portable, because I think they would be too large to carry around while I also have other things in my hands.
Ideally, incorporating lithium battery/recharger in the Play with Bluetooth! The charging unit should have the ability to work off the car plug or if available USB port.