Question

Trueplay Bass Distortion on Play:1

I recently set up Trueplay on a couple of Play:1s that I own. When testing out the post-Trueplay calibration sound I discovered bass distortion once I dialed up the speaker to about half-way on the volume bar (my EQ had bass and treble right in the middle and Loudness was turned off). At first I thought it was an issue with my speaker, but turning off Trueplay removed the distortion issue. The best way to describe the distortion is that it is a deep popping bass sound like occurs intermittently (maybe once every couple of seconds, but that depends on how bass heavy the song is).

Anyone else having this issue with a Trueplay-tuned Play:1?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Badge
Try the same song that created the popping in your kitchen and do it in the bedroom at about just under mid level volume and please let me know if it made the popping

I have the speakers playing simultaneously. I can walk back and forth and very clearly tell the difference. Volume doesn't matter much, anything greater than 15-20% causes the issue. Also, It is obvious with a majority of the music in my library (90% or more). I just don't know if "pop" is the right way to explain it (hard to explain sound in words). Best way I can put into words is maybe like the bass is "gulping"...totally distorted and sounding very off, usually with the first beat (kick drum) of a 4/4 dance/electronic music track.

Maybe this is a newer play 1 hardware issue then if the older models don’t seem to be effected. So your positive there is no bass distortion at all in your older play 1’s?
Badge
Try the same song that created the popping in your kitchen and do it in the bedroom at about just under mid level volume and please let me know if it made the popping

I have the speakers playing simultaneously. I can walk back and forth and very clearly tell the difference. Volume doesn't matter much, anything greater than 15-20% causes the issue. Also, It is obvious with a majority of the music in my library (90% or more). I just don't know if "pop" is the right way to explain it (hard to explain sound in words). Best way I can put into words is maybe like the bass is "gulping"...totally distorted and sounding very off, usually with the first beat (kick drum) of a 4/4 dance/electronic music track.

The reason that I’m surprised that your bedroom does not have any distortion is that I’ve had 4 different units one being my uncles and 3 from bought new and return because I thought it was broken. Bought another one same problem and Sonos replaces it because they said it was defective and now the one they sent me is doing the same thing. I know I’m asking a lot of you but I’m trying to figure things out to help everyone who effected by this. Is your bedroom a single unit or a pair? If it’s a pair could you do me a favour and unpair them and set them up as singles units and try each one out with the music that does it the most in the kitchen. Please play the music between 25% - 50% volume and with trueplay on and then let me know if it sounds distorted at all. If you can’t it’s all good it will just help me better understand how widespread this is because I’m contacting sonos back and forth on the issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Maybe this is a newer play 1 hardware issue then if the older models don’t seem to be effected. So your positive there is no bass distortion at all in your older play 1’s?

Actually I looked back at the purchase dates and they are only a few months apart (July and November of 2017), hardware versions are the same (1.20.1.6-2), not sure if there's anything to be gleaned from the serial numbers. Also considering this thread is 2 years old I'm less inclined to believe its a hardware issue.

The reason that I’m surprised that your bedroom does not have any distortion is that I’ve had 4 different units one being my uncles and 3 from bought new and return because I thought it was broken. Bought another one same problem and Sonos replaces it because they said it was defective and now the one they sent me is doing the same thing. I know I’m asking a lot of you but I’m trying to figure things out to help everyone who effected by this. Is your bedroom a single unit or a pair? If it’s a pair could you do me a favour and unpair them and set them up as singles units and try each one out with the music that does it the most in the kitchen. Please play the music between 25% - 50% volume and with trueplay on and then let me know if it sounds distorted at all. If you can’t it’s all good it will just help me better understand how widespread this is because I’m contacting sonos back and forth on the issue.

To be honest, since everything is working fine in my bedroom I'd rather not mess with it right now. But yes, the 2 in the bedroom are set up as a pair, as are the 2 in the kitchen. I can say I built up the system in my bedroom over time...I started with one Play:1, then added a second Play:1, then recently added a Playbar...always used Trueplay after setting up a new device and have used at all different volumes for months, and never had a similar issue like my kitchen Play:1s. I am curious what could be the problem and can test out my kitchen Play:1s in other rooms, but that will have to wait until next weekend when I have time.
Badge

Actually I looked back at the purchase dates and they are only a few months apart (July and November of 2017), hardware versions are the same (1.20.1.6-2), not sure if there's anything to be gleaned from the serial numbers. Also considering this thread is 2 years old I'm less inclined to believe its a hardware issue.

To be honest, since everything is working fine in my bedroom I'd rather not mess with it right now. But yes, the 2 in the bedroom are set up as a pair, as are the 2 in the kitchen. I can say I built up the system in my bedroom over time...I started with one Play:1, then added a second Play:1, then recently added a Playbar...always used Trueplay after setting up a new device and have used at all different volumes for months, and never had a similar issue like my kitchen Play:1s. I am curious what could be the problem and can test out my kitchen Play:1s in other rooms, but that will have to wait until next weekend when I have time.

I’m curious on what the support teams going to do next for me. Since they just sent me this new one.
Stereo Pair Play:1s purchased 3 days ago experiencing same issues. Most noticeably at lower volumes < 50% with TruePlay and Loudness on. I initially thought I had a bad speaker but after reversing locations / retuning I realized it must be software. A quick google search brought me here where I must say I am disappointed to see this has been going on for so long with no remedy. However - it’s great to see a forum with lots of great info and interaction!

I have relocated and retuned many times (large kitchen / eating area). The problem still exists although some locations do seem better than others. Loudness off and bass reduced to about 35% makes it manageable for now. Occurs on Pandora and Amazon Music streams. I haven’t tested with other sources.
Badge
Stereo Pair Play:1s purchased 3 days ago experiencing same issues. Most noticeably at lower volumes < 50% with TruePlay and Loudness on. I initially thought I had a bad speaker but after reversing locations / retuning I realized it must be software. A quick google search brought me here where I must say I am disappointed to see this has been going on for so long with no remedy. However - it’s great to see a forum with lots of great info and interaction!

I have relocated and retuned many times (large kitchen / eating area). The problem still exists although some locations do seem better than others. Loudness off and bass reduced to about 35% makes it manageable for now. Occurs on Pandora and Amazon Music streams. I haven’t tested with other sources.

Hopefully I will get some answers for all of us soon! I’ve been moved up to speak with an engineer at sonos next week on the issue. Doing some testing with Sonos over last week I have come to a conclusion that for now the best option is to turn off loudness and turn off trueplay. Also doing the testing I have found out that it’s not just trueplay, you can get the same results with trueplay off if the loudness is set to on and vice versa. There was a mention from the tech about the limiter going off but it should not be going off at these types of levels. Do be warned Sonos did replace my last unit because they deemed it damaged, I would recommend turning these settings off till we find out what’s happening.
I have the same bass distortion problem. Diagnostic # is 8492096.
Badge
Dear friends

I have been testing this issue with Sonos over the phone for over a month and this is whats happening:

The Play: 1 and Sonos One are limited to the amount of bass they can produce due to their compact size. Sonos has added a limiter inside these speakers to prevent them from breaking. This popping/distortion is actually the limiter doing its job when it detects a bass tone to high for the speaker to produce. It's always been there. The reason we are all noticing it more now is that with Trueplay enabled the levels become different causing the limiter to usually trigger between 25% - 50% volume levels on these certain bass tones, anything over 50% the limiter is changing the bass tones altogether so you don't hear it just trying to stop a single bass tone.

So what now? I have just turned off Trueplay and I'm enjoying the way they sound without it. as for a fix, I have been told that a feature request for the way the limiter responses to bass tones have been written up, there was only one downside... I was told that it probably wouldn't happen right away unless a lot more customers were experiencing this issue. So If you experience this call it in and let them know you don't like the way the limiter is causing a popping/distortion sound in the Play: 1 and Sonos One.

I just got myself a new Play: 3 and it does not have this issue. This seems to be strictly a Play: 1 and Sonos One issue due to its size.

If anyone has any questions for me feel free to ask.

P.S. I still love these speakers by the way. Hopefully, Sonos will hear us and figure something out
I recently set up Trueplay on a couple of Play:1s that I own. When testing out the post-Trueplay calibration sound I discovered bass distortion once I dialed up the speaker to about half-way on the volume bar (my EQ had bass and treble right in the middle and Loudness was turned off). At first I thought it was an issue with my speaker, but turning off Trueplay removed the distortion issue. The best way to describe the distortion is that it is a deep popping bass sound like occurs intermittently (maybe once every couple of seconds, but that depends on how bass heavy the song is).

Excellent explanation. Thanks for sharing your findings. I have 6 Play1s. My latest purchased Play1 has the bass distortion issue exactly as you described. My diagnostic number is 870362266.
Badge

Excellent explanation. Thanks for sharing your findings. I have 6 Play1s. My latest purchased Play1 has the bass distortion issue exactly as you described. My diagnostic number is 870362266.

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/trueplay-bass-distortion-on-play-1-6733388/index7.html#post16207648

All Play 1s have this popping. It's the limiter inside of them. Even the ones that you think don't have the issue will make the popping noise at different volume levels. You just haven't heard it because you aren't listening to them at the level that would trigger the limiters. But why does one out of 7 sound worse then all the others? It has to do with the way Trueplay is adjusted the speaker for your rooms. There is no fix unless Sonos works on either Trueplay or the limiter.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I recently bought a Flexson desk stand for my Play 1 that sits on a kitchen worktop. After attaching the Play 1 to the stand and doing a recalibration of the TruePlay the bass distortion seems to have gone. Sound is much tighter and clearer.