Answered

Trouble adding 2 Sonos Ones as stereo pair with Playbase

• 29 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I did setup the Sonos One speakers initially as individuals speakers so that I could play with the Alexa features. Today I went to turn the Ones into surround speakers for my Playbase. It keeps asking me to press and release the button on the back of the left speaker, at which point it fails. “! Surround Setup error”. Any advice?
icon

Best answer by jfranche 31 October 2017, 14:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos uses the 5 GHz band to communicate with the surrounds. try moving the Sonos:1 closer to the Playbase.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks Stuart. The Sones:One's are very close to the Playbase. Still not working. I have read that some other people had problems because they had setup the Alexa skill on the speakers originally (to test them when they first got them). When they moved the speakers to become a stereo pair in a home theater setup, they had problems. I have not proven this, but wondering if I have run into a potentially frustrating bug.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
RESOLVED: I did not make any Alexa or other changes. I rebooted my home router, and then tried again, and I was able to pair the Sonos:One devices as a stereo pair with my Playbase.

Initial impression... I feel silly having two Alexa's in my room, but I will get over that. Alexa tends to be a bit loud now (I didn't notice that when I had just one speaker going).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad you got this sorted out. The router could have been interfering on the wireless channel, or maybe just some network trouble needing a reboot.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Initial impression... I feel silly having two Alexa's in my room, but I will get over that.

I just replaced my Play 1's in my office with a pair of ONEs and couldn't stand having 2 Alexa's, either. Just turn the mic off of one of them and your problem is solved. 😃