Question

Travel Router.

• 3 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Hi we want to use one of our Sonos One speakers with a travel router away from home during term-time. Is it necessary or best to reset the Sonos speaker and set-up as new, with a new account, when we use the travel router, and then reverse the process when back home?Thank you. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Ideally get a travel router with an Ethernet port.

That apart, set the SSID  and password on the travel router to match those on your home network.  Do not factory reset.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @skinnywhippet, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about setting up your Sonos products on a travel router. The Sonos System requirements would be the guidelines for this kind of setup. If you’re going to use a Wireless internet connection such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers or pocket wifi routers, this is an unsupported network setup and devices. but following @John B’s advice on setting up the same SSID could work. Since if the travel router that you have would not have an ethernet port to plug it in to detect an existing system. I’d like to ask as well the model of the travel router that you’re going to use so that I can further check for any options. But kindly check the link above about the Sonos system requirements for this type of setup.

If you have other questions with your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Thanks for both the responses. Very helpful, I hadn’t thought of matching the SSID and password. We have a GL.iNet 300M mini smart router, so does have Ethernet sockets labelled LAN and WAN. Not sure if makes any difference which one we connect the speaker to. 

LAN. Although I had a travel router once in which the WAN port could act as a second LAN port. 

Ethernet gives you an almost fail safe fallback.  I would  still test everything before you leave though!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @skinnywhippet, thanks for the update, It should be connected to the LAN port from your Sonos product, hardwired to the LAN port on the travel router. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

That’s great we’ll certainly test and and let you know! Really informative responses. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @skinnywhippet, thanks for the update, let us know how it goes. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello @skinnywhippet.

I successfully tried this recently on a trip away from home with 2 x sonos play:1 speakers (on 10.4.1), an android phone on 6.0.1. and a GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/).

Good news is that it’s much simpler than even I thought possible.  I did nothing except box up the two play 1 units and, once in situ plug one of them into the ethernet port of my travel router with a cable.  I used this setup with the travel router as a ‘repeater’ unit accessing two different WAN (internet) APs while away.  Therefore the travel router was acting as my ‘router’ with everything downstream either on wifi through the router (eg phone) or on ethernet (somos and laptop) through the router.

Importantly, the critical thing is that your sonos units and (phone) controller must (I think) be on the same LAN and able to talk to each other.  If you can achieve this then you should have no problems.  Don’t confuse this with having the same SSID, which may not be appropriate, but see below.

It should be possible to test this in your own setup before you depart by enabling your travel router to function downstream of your domestic router and setup/enable the devices you intend to take with you to access the internet through the travel router.

As my sonos system is quite old and on a software and firmware version that is older than the S1/S2 ‘update’ (v11 or v 12 I think) I still use a bridge in my hose setup so used an ethernet cable between my router and first Play1 while away.  The second unit worked faultlessly as a paired speaker via the controller and it might have been possible to use the whole thing wirelessly while away but I had a suitable cable.

Give it a go.

HTH

Thanks for the detailed advice, that’s really appreciated. I’ll let you know how we get on!

Update - we moved daughter to her uni accommodation and it all worked fine using the mini router to connect wirelessly to the Uni network and then a cable between the Sonos and the router. Without this info I would probably have greatly over complicated, resetting and setting-up the speaker from scratch. Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @skinnywhippet, thanks for the update. I’m glad it worked for all the recommendations and suggestions on this thread.