Trade up scheme

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Either I'm misunderstanding or this scheme is just  encouraging people to throw away perfectly good Sonos equipment. 

The way I read it, you "trade up" by selecting an eligible device and it then gets deactivated by Sonos for you to bin.

This is surely ethically wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

218 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Mate Sonos can write middleware for the streams and do it in the cloud.

I really don’t know why you are complaining, if all you do is stream from an NAS and TuneIn, you can stay at a legacy version, not receive updates and your Sonos will play on until the hardware breaks.   Sonos has given you exactly what you wish for. 

Well for one I recently purchased a Sonos Beam for my TV so they’ll be screwing with my network. The stupid thing doesn’t work with TV properly either makes it reboot. I wish I could send it back to them :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

At any rate people poo hoo’d my post that this would happen and I just posted this stuff to say I told you so. 

Anyway most of their modern stuff is tinny subpar mono speakers that are no substitute for even a stereo system from the 1970s which would eat them for breakfast in terms of sound quality.

The ZP’s leverage off your existing systems - the new stuff are just glorified Amazon echos or whatever you call them. Pathetic toys.

At any rate people poo hoo’d I just posted this stuff to say I told you so. 

Didn’t poo hoo it at all.  I personally said it was inevitable, so you spiking the ball means nothing.

Anyway most of their modern stuff is tinny subpar mono speakers that are no substitute for even a stereo system from the 1970s which would eat them for breakfast in terms of sound quality.

And yet you bought them, and signed up for an internet forum to talk about them.  :laughing:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

At any rate the people poo hoo’d my post that this would happen and I just posted this stuff to say I told you so. 

Didn’t poo hoo it at all.  I personally said it was inevitable, so you spiking the ball means nothing.

And yet you bought them, and signed up for an internet forum to talk about them.  :laughing:

No I didn’t - I bought a sound bar for an inconsequential  bedroom TV and the ZP’s (these so called legacy devices) use my Stereo systems. I don’t have Sonos Ones etc.

No I didn’t - I bought a sound bar for an inconsiquential  bedroom TV and the ZP’s (these so called legacy devices) use my Stereo systems. I don’t have Sonos Ones etc.

So you’ve not heard them in the home but know how they sound?  Hot take, man.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

No I didn’t - I bought a sound bar for an inconsiquential  bedroom TV and the ZP’s (these so called legacy devices) use my Stereo systems. I don’t have Sonos Ones etc.

So you’ve not heard them in the home but know how they sound?  Hot take, man.

Haha - I have heard the Sonos Beam and I know how much air the tiny little speakers move. It’s physics. They do an impersonation of larger speakers only.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I also see it as a bit of a stupidity test as well to be honest. 

Who in their right mind would gladly agree to buy a new device to replace the one they already have (and still works) and agree to let Sonos brick there old one at the same time so they can’t sell it. 

🤔🤔

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Who in their right mind would gladly agree buy a new device to replace the one they already have (and still works) and agree to let Sonos brick there old one at the same time so they can’t sell it. 

🤔🤔

I totally agree. You have something you are happy with and works functionally, but if you spend about the same you originally paid, you can get something that does functionally the same. You also get to "recycle" your old product because Sonos destroys it.

Imagine if this was a second hand car. Ford offers you the chance to buy the new model for £19,995 and as part of that deal, we'll crush your old car.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Who in their right mind would gladly agree buy a new device to replace the one they already have (and still works) and agree to let Sonos brick there old one at the same time so they can’t sell it. 

🤔🤔

I totally agree. You have something you are happy with and works functionally, but if you spend about the same you originally paid, you can get something that does functionally the same. You also get to "recycle" your old product because Sonos destroys it.

Imagine if this was a second hand car. Ford offers you the chance to buy the new model for £19,995 and as part of that deal, we'll crush your old car.

It’s actually is a greedy ploy - it’s saying we don’t want more cars out there because we can’t sell them a new one.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

🤔🤔

It’s actually is a greedy ploy - it’s saying we don’t want more cars out there because we can’t sell them a new one.

Exactly. I was so happy with my Sonos, but that's gone down the drain. I'll be gradually replacing all my Sonos kit and my decisions will be far more informed in future. Sonos has mugged us all off.

Userlevel 4
Badge

🤔🤔

That’s almost the same example as I used today funnily enough. It’s the absolute principle of it too. I’d rather let it die (hopefully over a few years) and spend on another brand. 

Who in their right mind would gladly agree to buy a new device to replace the one they already have (and still works) and agree to let Sonos brick there old one at the same time so they can’t sell it. 

🤔🤔

There is no requirement that you trade in for the current version of the device your are recycling.  For example, you can trade in a Connect ($350) for a playbar+sub package (1400).  The 30% discount is actually greater than the original price of the Connect.

Userlevel 4
Badge

🤔🤔

There is no requirement that you trade in for the current version of the device your are recycling.  For example, you can trade in a Connect ($350) for a playbar+sub package (1400).  The 30% discount is actually greater than the original price of the Connect.

Yeah I know but I’d rather keep the thing I have and then wait for frequent sales where you can buy a Sonos device for 30% off anyway (or close to anyway). 

That way I have more. There is no advantage to their offer nor is it acceptable either to be honest.

Recycling the older products is a condition of the agreement for receiving the discount, and recycling locally is more eco-friendly and sustainable than packing up and shipping back to us. According to the terms and conditions of the program outlined here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/tradeup-terms Emphasis added to the specific note.

[quote]

PRODUCT RECYCLING

ISSUANCE OF THE DISCOUNT CREDIT IS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE CONSIDERATION FOR PLACING YOUR SONOS PRODUCT IN RECYCLE MODE. ONCE YOU HAVE INITIATED THE RECYCLING PROCESS AND RECEIVED YOUR DISCOUNT CREDIT IN THE “MY ACCOUNT” SECTION OF SONOS.COM, YOU SHOULD FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN THE TRADE UP TAB OF THE “MY ACCOUNT” SECTION TO SHIP YOUR PRODUCT BACK TO SONOS OR DELIVER THE PRODUCT TO A CERTIFIED ELECTRONICS RECYCLER FOLLOWING DEACTIVATION OF THE PRODUCT.

ONCE YOU HAVE INITIATED THE RECYCLING PROCESS, YOUR SONOS PRODUCT WILL NO LONGER BE USABLE. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE TRADE UP PROGRAM, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SONOS PRODUCT WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION AS A SPEAKER OR NETWORK DEVICE AND DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES RELATED TO THE SONOS PRODUCT, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, WITH RESPECT TO YOUR SONOS PRODUCTS, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND THE IMPLIED CONDITION OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY. YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL SHIP YOUR PRODUCT BACK TO SONOS OR RECYCLE YOUR SONOS PRODUCT WITH A CERTIFIED ELECTRONICS RECYCLER WITHIN TWENTY-ONE DAYS OF INITIATION OF THE RECYCLING PROCESS.

[/quote]

There are also retailers that are participating in this program. They handle the process slightly differently, but they are also required to recycle the products responsibly, per our agreement with them.

This is all bollocks and you know it,its just a con trick to disable customers old speakers, like you have done with my 4 sonos 5’s while i looked at the email. Then you said you would not reverse the enquiry into Trade up scheme and shut them down. It’s a three card trick we see performed on the street. You should be ashamed, it will catch up with you and your company. If you are from UK it is the equivalent to Ratners and look what happened to them.Boom.

Badge +2

I have a Gen 1 Play 5 that qualifies for the trade up program. First I would like to thank Sonos for such an offer , no other companies really do this. That said if I were to trade up I would like to go to a new play 5. Problem is Gen 1 came out in 2009 and eol at least for new software is May 2020. Play 5 Gen 2 came out Nov 2015. We are now 2020 so that makes it already about 4 and 1/4 years into its life cycle. Thus perhaps it would last another 7 years before it is slated for doomsday.  For this reason I won’t spend money at this time.  Sure I could buy one of the other speakers, but value wise my play 5 gen 1 still sounds great . It sounds better than the play one, it plays equally as well as the move does (IMO). Even has a carry handle  when I take it to my deck. My wish right now is that Sonos gives the Play 5 gen 2 some love in the form of an upgrade.  Then I may upgrade with confidence. Other than that it may be time for me to move on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m not concerned about my Gen 2 Play 5, it has the newer radio and far more memory than the products that were declared legacy. Even if Sonos released a Gen 3 tomorrow I’d have a minimum of five years of full support on it.

Only issue with the Gen 2 versus the Gen 1 is the loss of the headphone jack, that sucked until I came up with another solution.

Imagine a car manufacturer bricks your car and it is only 4 years old, that would suck. If Sonos doesn’t go through with this new program. Can I get my Play5 reactivated for a fee, since I purchased new speakers only because they said they would not update the speakers anymore. That would be a good idea.

Userlevel 1

grazey I’m missing what Sonos is forcing you to do?

Everything I have seen on the Trade-Up program is optional and voluntary. What am I missing?

Sonos is t forcing me - yet, but it is coming. They are a company I no longer trust. You completely evaded the points I actually did make such as the aim of controlling the market, turning customers into cash cows, the fact that its not ethical to brick tech that works. 

I didn’t evade. I ignored your opinions - not points, as points have facts behind them, opinions have feelings.

no you ignored my feelings based on facts. Sonos seeking to control the market is a fact backed up by experience. Sonos killing me using my iphone is a fact, not an opinion. Perhaps you are not capable of producing a coherent argument? 

Other than enforcing their patents which is perfectly reasonable what is Sonos doing to control the market?

Why are you blaming Sonos for Apple dropping support for their older devices? Apple should follow Sonos’ path and keep their old stuff working, like my 13 year old ZP.

So I’ll wait patiently for your facts now.

Well, seems a lot has changed since you wrote this email! 

Sonos removed the ability to play from my iPhone - an absolute key feature for me. I would NOT have bought my system without this which completely changed the way I interacted with the system which I had bought for my home and my office. I now hardly use either which has made me consider selling them…...that was until Sonos decided to brick old models so now I cant even do that as the used market has collapsed. Fact is people dont trust the brand now. Fact is people bought a hi fi and hi fi traditionally is kept for years and years. Fact is I was happy with my system just the way it was. Fact is that Sonos has, uninvited, stepped in and ruined my use of a system that has costs me thousands. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

If sonos abandon selling to legacy community, the value of your old stuff might increase as locked down owners want to add things…..long shot…..

Userlevel 2

Either I'm misunderstanding or this scheme is just  encouraging people to throw away perfectly good Sonos equipment. 

The way I read it, you "trade up" by selecting an eligible device and it then gets deactivated by Sonos for you to bin.

It seems that New Zealand’s Consumer organisation agrees with you. An article appears in their latest magazine and online here.

It’s hard to imagine how Sonos could have generated worse world wide publicity even if they had tried.

Badge

The whole thing is a huge insult to the loyal customers that were there first to help Sonos become an industry leader.  I love Sonos, I think 99% of us do but 30% trade-up allowance?  My Play 5’s still sound awesome and work just fine. 

There are grounds for legal action as buyers were never informed of any lifespan of Sonos products. 

Some have tried to defend Sonos by making comparisons to upgrading to new phones, “it’s just like upgrading your phone to get new features, the old Sonos devices won’t work so you have to upgrade”.  What? That’s completely irrelevant as the phone companies and carriers have been perfectly clear to consumers about future upgrades to take advantage of technical advancement, BUT you are not forced to upgrade to use your device as old as it may be.  My father still uses his iPhone 4 that’s over ten years old.  I tell him, “Dad we should upgrade your phone”, he says, “why, it works just fine”.  I try it and it’s painful to use, I think he should upgrade, but again, he’s not forced to upgrade, forced to pay to play. 

It’s clear Sonos has a scaling and compatibility issue to address but I don’t think it’s intentional or a conspiracy to drive sales of new products.  I think they honestly didn’t know at the time that the cutting edge products they sold and we paid a premium for, would, in their view, become obsolete. 

The bottom line is that the devices are not obsolete, they work just fine, they still make the same sound as when purchased and they still connect seamlessly to a Sonos network. So they should continue to work but making devices backward compatible takes time and resources which could be used on future advancements.  I get it and I’m all for advancement, but making me and other loyal customers pay for Sonos’ growing pains is the unethical part.  

The decisions were made by the executive team at some point, it may have sounded something like this “look, guys/gals, it doesn't make any sense to support our legacy products as we continue to make advancements and refine our ecosystem. They just can’t keep up and we can’t be bogged down trying to support them, we have to move on and sunset those products.” It sounds good and it does make sense. 

The problem, both ethically and legally, was in their decision to force customers to buy new components to stay current with Sonos. 

There are thousands of companies out their still running legacy systems for their early adopters of software and other services.  New customers can’t buy Version 1, but they still run Version 1 because they know they can’t force clients to pay for Version, 2, 3, 4, etc.  Sooner or later the company hits the time when converting V1 customers to V2,3,4, etc. is more advantageous than continuing support.  The company tells the client, “you’ve been such a loyal client for so long we would like to move you to a newer version for free, we’ll take care of everything”.  The client is happy, the company strengthens the relationship and no longer has to support outdated technology.  Wins all around! 

Sonos, on the other hand, made a conscious decision to defray costs by making Sonos’ customers pay for new products.  The 30% discount is just adding insult to injury especially when products on currently on sale at a 28% discount. 

Sonos customers were hit with a new unforeseen expense to comply with Sonos or lose the use of the products they purchased. 

What would you think would be the outcome If Sonos told customers in advance about product life span before they drop $800 on a set of Play 5s?   Could you imagine? 

“You’re going to love Sonos, wireless speakers are the future, but one last thing Mr customer, there is a very good chance that your new speakers won’t really work in a few years, is that ok?”  “Oh what do I care? $800, ahhh, a mere bag of shells!  I like to upgrade my entire audio system every two years!”  Who cares about money? I don’t mind getting screwed every now and then as long as I get a discount!  

Just bad all the way around.  Knowingly taking products off support makes them defective and therefore Sonos customers are damaged financially.  I’m still confused about why they haven’t come up with a fair solution.  It’s only a matter of time before a class action suit hits which will cost Sonos 10X of doing the right thing in the first place. 

@LeftyGomez, I advise to go and read Sonos S2 overview and compatibility thorougly.

I’m still confused about why they haven’t come up with a fair solution.

Everyone’s idea of “fair” is different. I’m sure that many users wouldn’t consider anything less than having SONOS simply ship out replacement products at no charge to be “fair”. However, if SONOS does this and wants to remain a viable company, they must increase the price for anyone purchasing new product. Is this being “fair” for customers purchasing new units? Would potential customers refrain from purchasing these more expensive units? Regardless, we will eventually be having a similar discussion regarding now current and yet to be introduced product.

One solution to this dilemma for SONOS and all other high-tech manufacturers is to lease the product. As EOL approaches, for any reason, the leased base is simply swapped out. The swap cost will be baked into the long term lease fees.

Would you be satisfied with a lease arrangement?

Badge

I’m still confused about why they haven’t come up with a fair solution.

Everyone’s idea of “fair” is different. I’m sure that many users wouldn’t consider anything less than having SONOS simply ship out replacement products at no charge to be “fair”. However, if SONOS does this and wants to remain a viable company, they must increase the price for anyone purchasing new product. Is this being “fair” for customers purchasing new units? Would potential customers refrain from purchasing these more expensive units? Regardless, we will eventually be having a similar discussion regarding now current and yet to be introduced product.

One solution to this dilemma for SONOS and all other high-tech manufacturers is to lease the product. As EOL approaches, for any reason, the leased base is simply swapped out. The swap cost will be baked into the long term lease fees.

Would you be satisfied with a lease arrangement?

True, “fair” is a relative term which is why there is such backlash. Some users may want new equipment, but answering your own hypothetical remains hypothetical. I’ve yet to see any company make public apology made for treating people fairly.  Clearly, Sonos knows of the unfairness or there would be no need to apologize or offer a discount.  They also knew of the impending issue while still producing and selling the soon to be outdated equipment, now that doesn’t seem fair or does it? 

Leasing equipment?  Do you mean like the cable companies do with modems?  No thanks.

Just my observations.  BTW anyone with 16,834 replies is far too biased.  

Badge

@LeftyGomez, I advise to go and read Sonos S2 overview and compatibility thorougly.

@Smilja I’ve already read it, thoroughly, but thank you for your assistance.