Answered

The systemic elimination of 1st Gen

Amazing how we get an announcement of no longer going to support older generations of products and they systematically start not working prior to cutover date. Im sorry Sonos but paying top price for your products including  $500 for a play 5 only for it to be compatible to your greed for a few years is unacceptable. You cant put a price tag of that amount on a product without some scalability beyond a few years.  I have to look at moving to a better solution. 

icon

Best answer by Flexibleshoe 27 May 2020, 21:42

So far I may have a solution. Outlook the past few days has been good. worked through pulling off and hard wiring the Connect 5 from one of my Eero units that is better centered in the home so may have been a distance issue to the Connect creating the mesh. Thx all for your help. Restoring my faith and love for Sonos products. 

View original

11 replies

Amazing how we get an announcement of no longer going to support older generations of products and they systematically start not working prior to cutover date. Im sorry Sonos but paying top price for your products including  $500 for a play 5 only for it to be compatible to your greed for a few years is unacceptable. You cant put a price tag of that amount on a product without some scalability beyond a few years.  I have to look at moving to a better solution. 

Oh by the way don’t ask me to reboot my network…..Smart home with 50+ items running off a rock solid system setup

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you are having issues with the new software you must be using Beta versions as it hasn’t been released yet.

Not wanting to run afoul of your rules for us trying to help you I’ll just suggest submitting a diagnostic and directly contacting Sonos Support, the Contact page has the different options.

First gen products will continue to work as they do today, using the soon to be released S1 software. While they won’t be getting new features, they’ll not stop working.

Not sure why we would suggest that you reboot your network, you haven’t indicated that you have any current issues, beyond your unhappiness regarding the fact that your first gen products won’t get new features. 

Thx for the response guys. Was written during a period of extreme frustration. Its a mesh network (Eero’s). Static IPs assigned to play 1 and play 5. Also have a bridge tied into home audio system but is hard wired. It never disappears which hints at a network problem clearly. 

The BRIDGE is an old tech device, and is known to have potential issues with the power supply, which can certainly cause odd connection issues. I would certainly recommend either replacing it with a BOOST, or just wiring one of your speakers.

Oddly, you claim to have the BRIDGE tied in to a home audio system, which makes me think it isn’t a BRIDGE at all, but instead a CONNECT, in which case the previous paragraph doesn’t apply to you, although it should to others who still have a BRIDGE deployed. 

I’d also double check the software on the Eero, to ensure your running the latest. 

It’s always worth reviewing the data in the wifi interference FAQ.

Yes you are correct it is a Connect. Not sure why I said Bridge. I’m going to hard wire my speakers and assure they have latest software as well Apps are up to date. I will report back. Thx Bruce. 

Question Bruce will the Connect (wired) create the mesh (sonos) network that the speakers (wireless) connect to or do only the speakers create a mesh. What takes priority 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yes, a Connect will create a mesh.  My first two items were a Zp100, then later a Play:3.  The Zp100 was connected to the router via ethernet, and the Play:3 via SonosNet.  Zp100 is essentially a Connect:Amp (first edition.)

I can completely understand the naming confusion, as the CONNECT is acting as a bridge between your Sonos system and your amp. Chalk one up for the confusing naming policiesof the folks at Sonos. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Port is a little better, but I can imagine the original thinking was “Here’s how you can Connect your existing HiFi to streaming audio!”

So far I may have a solution. Outlook the past few days has been good. worked through pulling off and hard wiring the Connect 5 from one of my Eero units that is better centered in the home so may have been a distance issue to the Connect creating the mesh. Thx all for your help. Restoring my faith and love for Sonos products.