Answered

Taking Sonos One on Vacation

• 24 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello, I'm a newbie in the community (but a passionate Sonos user). I got my first Sonos one a few weeks ago. I'm planning to take it temporarily to a friend's vacation house for a few days, which means I will have to unplug and connect to a new wifi network. In my limited experience, I noticed that I would lose all my previous set up, especially the music streaming services (unfortunately I have quite a few to log in). I am really hoping my Sonos will remember all my previous set up, especially the music services when I plug it back to my home. I did some research but did not find anything helpful. Does anyone know what's the best way to do it? Thanks so much.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 24 January 2019, 16:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you can plug your Sonos One directly into an ethernet port at this house, then it should work just fine without doing any reconfiguration. If you cannot do that, they you'll have to set it up as a 'wireless' setup, using the house's wifi.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

You won't lose your existing streaming service settings and such unless you do a factory resent, which you will not need to do for this scenario.
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

So it looks like I can just unplug my existing Sonos One and plug it in at the new location. Once my phone is connected to the new wifi, I can use the Sonos app to connect my speaker to the new wifi, and all my previous settings, including the music services, will be the same?

I was afraid that once I connect to the new wifi, the Sonos app would not recognize my Sonos and I have to factory reset to make it work. It has happened before and there's probably something I did wrong.
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

So it looks like I can just unplug my existing Sonos One and plug it in at the new location. Once my phone is connected to the new wifi, I can use the Sonos app to connect my speaker to the new wifi, and all my previous settings, including the music services, will be the same?

Your speaker will need to be connected to the router at the time you add in the new wifi, then you can disconnect it. Sorry, I should have included the document below to better explain this.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US
Thanks again Danny. I think this articles is very helpful to explain the process of connecting to another WiFi network. After reading it, I now feel more comfortable about the temporarily relocation process, summarized below for future references:

1. Unplug existing Sonos One.
2. Plug in new location (power cable).
3. Connect phone to new location's WiFi.
4. Using Sonos App to guide my Sonos One to connect to new WiFi. (follow steps in the link above)
5. All my setting will be transferred including music services.

My only question left is the disconnecting process. How do I disconnect my speaker from the temporary location? Is there a process or I can simply unplug power and plug it back home when I return?

------Edited to add quotes from above----------

Your speaker will need to be connected to the router at the time you add in the new wifi, then you can disconnect it. Sorry, I should have included the document below to better explain this.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US