Answered

System skips songs during playback

Userlevel 2
My system keeps skipping to the next song before the end of the current song. It plays a song from a playlist or queue for about 30 seconds and then just skips. I have a Play 1 and Bridge. Please help. I cannot use these products right now.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 11 January 2018, 01:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

173 replies

Hi Bill

I have exactly the same problem. I've had my Sonos system for a few years now and its been absolutely brilliant with no problems until I downloaded the new Sonos app. Its only since I updated my system that this problem has started and its driving me up the wall.
I think its an issue with the app as nothing else has changed in my system........
Hopefully they'll come up with a solution soon
I've been encountering the same issue.  I love my Sonos, but this update is a piece of garbage.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Add me to the list.  The last 6 months or so, my system has been getting progressively worse - drops the Tunein Radio so often, it is un-useable, skips tracks just as you described, and also the grouping seems to have been messed up - if I have zones grouped, then turn off for the night, the next day/time I go to turn the music back on, it only plays in one zone.  I have to ungroup, save, and then regroup to get the music streaming to all zones.  This never used to happen!  What's going on, Sonos, what are you doing to your product???
Userlevel 2
It's odd. It seems to play Pandora ok, but it doesn't play anything that I have downloaded on my iPhone or iPad without this skipping issue. Often, after skipping repeatedly, the effort simply fails and no music will play. So, I am able to listen only to Pandora, which is a disappointment given the good reviews I've read about Sonos' supposedly great wireless playback capability.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Everyone,

Most likely everyone's system is experiencing the same symptoms, but are not linked to the same cause.
To whom's system  is still misbehaving would you mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number.
Here is a FAQ showing you how to submit a system diagnostic

@Bill; In your case the cause of the issues seem to be wifi interference or low wireless connection with the iOS device(s).
As the system othen drops or skips audio when stream from them.
Would you mind to submit a diagnostic and also to stream music from a computer?

@Itsgibbo & Philip & User482341; Your system symptoms are very similar. Leads me to think the SonosNet (wireless system used for Sonos speaker to connect to each other) is having trouble to connect or share wirelessly. A Sonos diagnostic is a most before we can continue to troubleshoot.

Let me know how it went.
Thanks,
Max.

I am also having this problem. It's a new development in the last couple of days -- I've never had connectivity problems before from my iPad.
Me too.

My system has deteriorated further, in that it doesn't skip anymore, it plays half a song or less and then plays no more..queued music disappears from the playing list.

No changes or anything new to my home except for SONOS software upgrade.

diagnostics confirmation number 3844911
Userlevel 2
Hi Everyone,

Most likely everyone's system is experiencing the same symptoms, but are not linked to the same cause.
To whom's system  is still misbehaving would you mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number.

@Bill; In your case the cause of the issues seem to be wifi interference or low wireless connection with the iOS device(s).

@Itsgibbo & Philip & User482341; Your system symptoms are very similar. Leads me to think the SonosNet (wireless system used for Sonos speaker to connect to each other) is having trouble to connect or share wirelessly. A Sonos diagnostic is a most before we can continue to troubleshoot.

Let me know how it went.
Thanks,
Max.

Ok, I submitted a Diagnostic. Hopefully that helps correct the problem. I don't notice the issue as much when I play Pandora, so I'm not sure it's a wifi issue instead of a problem with the way the app plays iTunes songs. We'll see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would call Sonos on phone to get quicker support.

I had a dropout issue once that was an IP conflict.  Have you tried turning off all Sonos units.  Reboot your router.  Then plug back in all Sonos units starting with the one that is the bridge (making the hardwire connection).
Userlevel 2
I would call Sonos on phone to get quicker support.

I had a dropout issue once that was an IP conflict. 

Interesting.  I haven't tried unplugging everything, although that probably should've been my first troubleshooting attempt.  I'll try it tonight.  Thanks for the tip. 
Userlevel 2
Hi Everyone,

Let me know how it went.
Thanks,
Max.

My diagnostic confirmation number is 3845752. 
Userlevel 2
Lots of skipping on Google Play Music tonight too. It's losing the connection to Google Play apparently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Definitely some interference issue
Userlevel 2
Odd, I played Pandora for about an hour tonight without a problem. When I tried to play Google Play or iTunes songs, however, the skipping started right back up again.
Hi all I contacted Sonos customer services the other day and they seem to think it's my virgin media wifi router. One of my speaker was connected straight to the router and since I've started using the bridge it appears to have fixed the issue. The guy I spoke to seems to think that my broadband provider has recently installed new firmware to the router and that's the problem as when I sent him the diagnostics he thought that my system signal was very strong but here had been some dropping of the wifi.
Userlevel 2
I'll try giving them a call. I use a bridge, but anything other than Pandora is just unplayable right now. I'm confused why Pandora would work but nothing else if it's a wifi or other connectivity problem, but maybe Sonos has an answer. Thanks for the tips.
I'll try giving them a call. I use a bridge, but anything other than Pandora is just unplayable right now. I'm confused why Pandora would work but nothing else if it's a wifi or other connectivity problem, but maybe Sonos has an answer. Thanks for the tips.
Pandora is streamed directly from the internet.  If you are having trouble streaming from your local library, or directly from a phone/tablet, then it sounds like WiFi interference. So, you have to isolate your Sonos from your standard WiFi. To do this, make sure your Sonos and your WiFi router are on different channels. Your Sonos channel is set from the Advanced Settings menu. Consult your router manual for how to make changes on your router.  When you change the settings, make sure you choose any two of channels 1, 6, or 11.  Avoid any "Auto", "40 MHz", "Wide" or "Turbo" modes on the router. These modes can cause interference with other devices.
Userlevel 2
Google Play is streamed from the internet too, though, and it doesn't work although Pandora does.  Strange.  Anyway, I tried switching channels on the Sonos once, but I'll try again.  Maybe that'll do the trick.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a shot tonight. 
Well I wasn't aware that you were using Google Play, which is why I stated "If you are having trouble streaming from your local library, or directly from a phone/tablet, then it sounds like WiFi interference."  The fact that Google Play is skipping puts a damper on the diagnosis of interference (unless you are using the new "stream direct from the Google Play app" feature, which would actually confirm the diagnosis . . . it's convoluted, I know 😉 ).  I think the best bet now would be to wait for a dropout to occur, then send a diagnostic to Sonos and follow it up with a call/e-mail to support.
Userlevel 2
Ok, cool.  Will do.  Thanks again for the advice. 
I'm having the same issue, only bought the system a couple of weeks ago and its just skipping through songs intermittently... 3939505 - diagnostic number
I'm having the same issue with my iPad (iPhone and nexus both work fine). Can I submit a diagnostic? The FAQ says only to submit when asked by customer support person.
Me too .. my new iPhone 5s skips through songs intermittently.  Just bought the Sonos today, so thinking of taking it straight back .. no use to me in its current state !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Playing from your phone or from a streaming service or library
New Sonos 1 user here. I'm having the same problem (with Spotify). Tracks just stop playing at some indeterminate point, and skip to the next in the list. It's infuriating, and sadly, makes the player useless for me 😞 Hope a fix appears soon.