Switch to Echo Studio?

• 2 February 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I currently have 2 Sonos Play 1, which I think will go to legacy mode for the next 2 years. Should I buy 2 echo studios to replace those 2? Cause I've heard that the Echo Studio sounds better than the sonos Play 1 and they have the same price

I've also heard that the 3D audio on the Echo Studio sound really good and the sonos one is mono, so that's a plus.

Your thought?

8 replies

This is a Sonos community forum, you’re unlikely to get unbiased opinions here. You may want to post your request on a third party site, so as to get better feedback.

Given the amount of memory in the PLAY:1, And given that they were sold by Sonos in last year, that they’d go into a ‘legacy’ status for another four years at a minimum. And given that Sonos supported their original speakers for much longer,  I have higher expectations. 

At the end of the day, however, Sonos speakers are computers, driven by software that runs on each speaker.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

This is a Sonos community forum, you’re unlikely to get unbiased opinions here. You may want to post your request on a third party site, so as to get better feedback.

Given the amount of memory in the PLAY:1, And given that they were sold by Sonos in last year, that they’d go into a ‘legacy’ status for another four years at a minimum. And given that Sonos supported their original speakers for much longer,  I have higher expectations. 

At the end of the day, however, Sonos speakers are computers, driven by software that runs on each speaker.

Thank you for your feedback!

I'm also leaning more to Sonos because I really like their app, and the whole house audio. I'm not sure if it's worth to buy more Sonos speakers after the EoL announcement

Note that it isn’t an end of life announcement. These ‘legacy’ speakers will continue to function as they do today. They just won’t be receiving any new features that Sonos would be developing. 

There hasn't been an EoL announcement.  There has been a ' no more updates on units with 32MB memory' announcement. Given that a Sonos One  has 1024MB, i think you have absolutely no reason for concern about further purchases. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

There hasn't been an EoL announcement.  There has been a ' no more updates on units with 32MB memory' announcement. Given that a Sonos One  has 1024MB, i think you have absolutely no reason for concern about further purchases. 

Yea i’m not concerning about the one, but like how about the play 5 2nd gen, which only have 256mb (¼ of the one). Cause I’m planning to buy the 2nd gen to replace the 1st gen. 

Still after May, the legacy and modern devices have to be on their own network, which can’t group together is the main drawback IMO.

A quarter of the One or eight times the Play5 gen 1.

You don't have to split your system. You could leave your whole system in legacy mode, at least for a while. You could wait and see.

But if you wish to upgrade I still think you should have no concerns.

Yea i’m not concerning about the one, but like how about the play 5 2nd gen, which only have 256mb (¼ of the one). Cause I’m planning to buy the 2nd gen to replace the 1st gen. 

Still after May, the legacy and modern devices have to be on their own network, which can’t group together is the main drawback IMO.

As John said, the Gen 2 still has 8 times as much as the Play:5 Gen 1.  Not saying it is going to last 8 times as long as the legacy units, but some of the legacy units lasted 15 years on 32 MB, and the potential is there for 8 times that to go longer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

As John said, the Gen 2 still has 8 times as much as the Play:5 Gen 1.  Not saying it is going to last 8 times as long as the legacy units, but some of the legacy units lasted 15 years on 32 MB, and the potential is there for 8 times that to go longer.

Yea I'm just waiting for the Core Sub and Playbar 2