Answered

Switch to a wireless setup

• 20 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Obviously Sonos online help is incorrect when it comes to Switching from wired (SonosNet) to a wireless setup.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=En

On that page is says:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Wireless Setup and follow the prompts to enter your WiFi password.

Well, there is no “Wireless Setup” option when you have a wired setup. Instead there is a “manage network” and when clicking the option  “update network”. I have tied that path but it doesn’t work.

So what is the right approach to Switch to a wireless setup?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 March 2021, 23:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Disconnect your Boost and any other Sonos speaker connected to your router with an ethernet cable if you want to be on a strictly wireless setup.

I have tried disconnecting my Boost (the only Sonos device wired), but then my app and desktop client no longer find my Sonos system.

Userlevel 7

Sounds like you need to stay on a wired setup.

The “Update networks” → “Yes” should give you the option to enter your WIFI name and password. When done, you can remove the ethernet cable and run Sonos in wireless mode. Just ensure that your router broadcasts 2,4 GHz b/g.

Or stick to the wired mode (SonosNet) with the Boost as it is often more reliable than wireless. If you do that, ensure that your WIFI’s 2,4 GHz is on channel 1,6 or 11 and SonosNet at least 5 channels away from the WIFI channel to avoid channel overlap.

Hi ClausN,

I suffer from serious drop-outs (regardless of channel). I live in a building with multiple WiFi’s around me. So I want to try to see if an unwired performs more reliable.

I use the Sonos S2 app.

“update network” does following:

1. select a sonos speaker (to configure)
  2. sonos creates a temporary network 
  3. The next step is to select wi-if, but all surrounding WiFi’s are listed except for mine.
  4. obviously I need to abort here…

Did you do this?: “ensure that your router broadcasts 2,4 GHz b/g

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US

Yes, I use both bands.

Yes, I use both bands.

Perhaps see if this works for you...

With your Sonos system running in wired ‘Boost’ mode, you need to go through the ‘manage network’ option until all the devices have been setup on your WiFi network, not just a single device.. it should invite you to add the Wifi network credentials to ALL once you have completed the first device.

When satisfied that ALL have been given those credentials SSID/Password, just uncable your Boost and reboot each device and see if that then fixes it.