Question

Surrounds Dropped

Badge +3
Is there a problem with the Sonos Network. My surround speakers have dropped off my system which I cannot reconnect and the left surround in my bedroom has dropped off and also refuses to be added. Any ideas guys. This is driving me nuts. Even with a retune and true play they still don’t work!!??????

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Jimmyc2808

First of all there is no Sonos network such as you my find with a music streaming service. If you are having issues then most likely there is a problem with your home-network (i.e. Wi-Fi, router, iOS or Android device, Sonos App updates etc.)

1. Unplug all Sonos
2. Reboot your router
3. Delete the Sonos App
4. Make sure the software is up-to-date on your iOS or Android device.
5. Re-install the Sonos App
6. Plug in your Sonos one by one

If none of the above corrects the issue you can come back for more help or submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and call Sonos support.

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
Badge +3
Hey AjTrek1, thanks for the prompt reply. Have tried all of the above and still having the same problems.....will submit a diagnostic and lost A’s suggested. Best J
Badge +3
Diagnostic confirmation 897745639. what are my next steps?
Userlevel 7
Oops too late. I re-adjusted the sequence. :8 Since you have submitted the diagnostic you can wait for a response or as I said call Sonos or contact them via twitter. Waiting for a response via the forum may take as long 24 - 48 hours.

If you run the steps I suggested in the adjusted order given...you'll have to resubmit your diagnostic and post the new reference ID.
Badge +3
Hello again. Same problem persists. I’ve switched off the power, retuned the sub and play bar but when I attempt to add the surrounds, I get a message that says it cannot connect with the speaker......
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Hmmm.... almost sounds like what they are trying to connect through isn't your router. Do you have any extenders present?

Networks using wireless range extenders are known to cause issues with Sonos systems that are configured in a wireless setup.

Sonos System Requirements
Badge +3
Hey Misfit, thanks for the note. No Wi-fi extenders present. Only Sonos Boost. PlayBar and sub are working fine as are my Play 5’s in the dining room. What persists is the drop in the surrounds and the paired Play 1’s in the bedroom. When I power up and attempt to re-add, only one connects in either room so I can’t create a stereo pair nor add the surrounds....this is increasingly frustrating and makes me wonder what was the point in splashing out all this cash for persistent problems......
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostic confirmation 897745639. what are my next steps?

Thanks for the report. Your right rear speaker is connected but it doesn't have a valid network address. The speaker's connection strength is pretty low, likely due to wireless interference. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. Also, it would be a good idea to reboot your router and the home theater speakers to ensure they're using up to date network information.
Badge +3
Hey JeffS, switched to channel 1 and unable to add either surround. Same under channel 6. Originally problems via channel 11.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey JeffS, switched to channel 1 and unable to add either surround. Same under channel 6. Originally problems via channel 11.

Please send a new diagnostic report and reply with the number.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Hmmm.... what's the make and model of your router?

Make sure it's not on "The List"

Sonos and incompatible hardware
Badge +3
JeffS, here you go...confirmation number is: 731075553
Badge +3
Misfit, have “super fast” BT broadband. Doesn’t look like it’s on the List.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Well you said you have a Boost.... is that the only device wired into your network? Are any of your surrounds wired into the router?
Badge +3
Misfit, only the Boost is wired into the router. Nothing else. Never had this problem before.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jimmyc2808

I hesitate to mention this as you are working with Jeff S via a diagnostic. Because as I said any changes you continue to make to your network prior to his analysis changes the state of your system. In short the baseline established for comparison is erased.

After Jeff S responds you might let him know if you checked your router for updates by signing into its admin page. A router with out -of -date firmware can be a major problem. But as I said I recommend you wait for Jeff S to respond before moving forward. Good luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
JeffS, here you go...confirmation number is: 731075553

This is a better wireless channel. Your rear speaker has a stronger connection to the Sonos mesh, but it's still not getting an IP address from your router. Try heading into the Sonos app's room settings menu for your Playbar and remove the surrounds. Then, reboot each of the rear speakers and try to add the missing one back to your system. If it connects, see if you can set up your rear speakers. If not, it is probably a good idea to continue troubleshooting live with our phone team. You can find our number here.

Unrelated to the issue, your left master bedroom speaker is connecting to your wireless network instead of the Sonos mesh. It's best to have all of your speakers connecting in the same way, so it's probably a good idea to head into the Sonos app and go to the advanced settings menu, then click wireless setup and reset the wireless login credentials.
Badge +3
Hey JeffS, just a note of thanks for the advice. Removed surrounds, rebooted etc. (as you recommended) and I am pleased to say The Prodigy are blasting the roof off the house. Best wishes J:D