Answered

Surround Sound

Is it possible to use a play 3 as 2 channels R/L, or must you use 2 speakers?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 11 February 2019, 14:23

Hi rjspeed960

The Play 3 was a unique speaker in the Sonos line-up. Here are the characteristics:

1. One Play 3 positioned horizontality would play in stereo (L/R). However, after distancing one's self a few feet away the stereo separation would dissipate and the sound would become acoustically mono to the ear.

2. One Play 3 positioned vertically would play only as a Mono speaker

3. The preferred positioning of two (2) Play 3's is vertical to create a stereo pair (L/R). in this manner the Stereo effect was not limited by distance.

4. When used as surrounds the preferred position is vertical. In the Sonos app they could be set to FULL for playback of music and still serve as surrounds for video. Once set in the Sonos app the transition from Full to Surround mode was automatic.

Cheers!

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20
rjspeed690 wrote:

Is it possible to use a play 3 as 2 channels R/L, or must you use 2 speakers?

They must two of the same speaker type - Play:1, Sonos One, Play:3 or Play:5 (Gen 2)
Badge +1
I have 2 play 3 as R/L channels and they are excellent
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
The Play 3 plays both channels as a single speaker. Or as the answers above, you can get a second Play 3 and use them as a stereo pair with one playing the L channel and one playing the R channel
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
Sorry, my brain has now linked your thread title with your question. I hadn't processed that as one item in my first reply! As far as I am aware you can't use one speaker as a surround speaker, you must use a pair for the two channels.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi rjspeed960

The Play 3 was a unique speaker in the Sonos line-up. Here are the characteristics:

1. One Play 3 positioned horizontality would play in stereo (L/R). However, after distancing one's self a few feet away the stereo separation would dissipate and the sound would become acoustically mono to the ear.

3. The preferred positioning of two (2) Play 3's is vertical to create a stereo pair (L/R). in this manner the Stereo effect was not limited by distance.

4. When used as surrounds the preferred position is vertical. In the Sonos app they could be set to FULL for playback of music and still serve as surrounds for video. Once set in the Sonos app the transition from Full to Surround mode was automatic.

Cheers!
Badge +1
AjTrek1 wrote:

Hi rjspeed960

Cheers!

Hi AjTrek1,

thanks a lot for the info. I was not aware of it. I will put them immeditely in Vertical position:cool:

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings