Question

Sub maintenance

• 15 August 2017
  • 4 replies

My Sub has a cloth cover that does a decent job of keeping out dust but not bass; but inevitably after three years, there is some dust accumulation on the driver cones and rubber surrounds. Are these robust enough to take a brush or a blow to remove the dust? Or should I let sleeping dogs lie?

An earlier question on the same line is lost in moderation...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Just the one bump for a response before I dismiss what is probably OCD thinking!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I would be surprised if any harm could come from lightly brushing it with a Swiffer duster or something, but that's not an informed opinion.

For what it's worth, I don't see the necessity if it's under a cloth cover anyway, so maybe just leave it?
Conceivably, you could blow it off using those cans of air designed for use inside of computer cases? Although if it's that thick, I'd be tempted to run a vacuum with a soft tip across it first, which should get most of it. While I don't think that would harm it, I certainly wouldn't want to put any pressure on the speaker assembly.
Appreciate both inputs, but I think I will leave things as they are since no audible effect seems present. Any pressure of air or vacuum needed to shift dust that adheres to the somewhat sticky surfaces - unlike the glossy body - may also do damage, I worry. So the bigger worry wins!

I hoped to see some reply from Sonos that claim to read every post, for more authoritative guidance.