Answered

Sub build quality?

• 30 December 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I treated myself to a sub for Christmas and one thing I noticed during the unboxing ceremony was how the casing didn't quite fit perfectly together along one edge i.e. the inset panel doesn’t sit flush with the outer casing. It is not something I'd think twice about normally but I am mindful of the premium price I've paid here and so was surprised to see it, not to mention somewhat disappointed given that both sides of the sub will be visible.

I have included some photos to help illustrate (although I’m not too sure how well I’ve captured the issue - I think it looks worse in real life) and I was wondering if anyone else’s was like this i.e. is it ‘normal’?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 December 2021, 00:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

No this is certainly not normal - I would get in touch with Sonos Support, and/or Sonos Sales, via this LINK and refer them to your photos uploaded to this thread and see what they suggest. Let us know how you get on. 👍

I would take it back right away to the store for a replacement, if store bought.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No this is certainly not normal - I would get in touch with Sonos Support, and/or Sonos Sales, via this LINK and refer them to your photos uploaded to this thread and see what they suggest. Let us know how you get on. 👍

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve done just that and they were really good - said I wasn’t being picky (although maybe they were just being polite!) and that it should indeed fit flush so they will send out a replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve done just that and they were really good - said I wasn’t being picky (although maybe they were just being polite!) and that it should indeed fit flush so they will send out a replacement.

That’s great to hear and extremely quick service too.

As you mentioned, the Sub is a premium Sonos product and the build quality should reflect that. I love the Sub personally speaking and highly recommend it.

Anyhow, thanks kindly for also taking the time to come back here and posting the outcome - that’s much appreciated too.👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That’s great to hear and extremely quick service too.

Yes, isn’t it just. Perhaps that’s where part of the relatively high prices go - the ability to offer no-quibble levels of customer service.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The replacement sub arrived today (really quick service I must say - I only got round to arranging it with them a few days ago) and the panel on this fits much better. Unfortunately, and I mustn’t be very lucky at the moment (or just super fussy!), the paint finish in one corner is really poor - it’s got a rough/matt finish to it… I first thought it was adhesive of some sort as the cotton bag it comes in got stuck on it whilst I was unpacking it. With rubbing it having no affect and looking closer I am less convinced it’s adhesive now and think it more might be an issue with the clear coat or whatever it is that makes up the paint finish (or is it coloured plastic?).

Anyway, had to open a new support case now and they’re looking into it. Feeling rather nervous now with two subs (I don’t dare plug them both in at once in case it makes me not want to go back to only the one!) and a £750 charge hold on my credit card pending the return of the original. If I can’t sort the finish out (I’ve told them I’m happy to try anything but obviously wanted to clear it with them first) then I expect a 3rd sub will be added to the collection soon enough!

@mjnewton,
Oh no, well this is really unfortunate and unusual, if not unheard of … and I’m sure Sonos Staff will want to sort this matter as quickly as possible for you. Here’s hoping it’s ‘3rd time lucky’.

Quality control certainly needs looking at, that’s for sure. Hope the matter gets sorted ASAP for you.👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yeah, I was really disappointed when I saw it. I’m waiting on a reply but in the meantime tried scraping with my nail but to no avail - I think it really is the clearcoat, which is a shame as for everyone’s sake I was hoping I could fix it. It can’t be cheap couriering these things around (noting in particular that the destination for my return is Poland!).

As you say, finger’s crossed for 3rd time lucky (assuming that’s what they suggest)!

Incidentally, I did see a spookily-similar report from someone else but, yeah, my searches in the forum and online generally didn’t find anyone else so hopefully I’ve/we’ve just been unlucky.

I’ve now exchanged two subs with same issues, I personally think it’s hit and miss on build quality with them. In an ideal world all four sides of the panel would be flush, yet to see one though. The one I have now has slight protruding on the top and bottom, not loose, but not flush. I’m also quite picky, especially when they cost so much. Going to see if it loosens anymore with use, if so I’ll return it once again. Initially I contacted Sonos direct and they were useless and accused me of dropping it!! Purchased from Curry's and they have been great when I have a exchanged it.

I’ve now exchanged two subs with same issues, I personally think it’s hit and miss on build quality with them. In an ideal world all four sides of the panel would be flush, yet to see one though. The one I have now has slight protruding on the top and bottom, not loose, but not flush. I’m also quite picky, especially when they cost so much. Going to see if it loosens anymore with use, if so I’ll return it once again. Initially I contacted Sonos direct and they were useless and accused me of dropping it!! Purchased from Curry's and they have been great when I have a exchanged it.

Perhaps post your photo of the Sub issue here - if the Sub build is not 100% to your satisfaction, then I would show the issue to either a Curry’s rep. or Sonos Support Staff and ask them to exchange it under the terms of the Sonos guarantee.

If you were wrongly accused of actually dropping the device, rather than being asked if you may have dropped it (there’s a difference!) then lodge a complaint. Most support calls these days are recorded and the conversation can often be recalled within certain time limits …and anyone at fault can perhaps be offered advice/training, thats if the Staff member did not handle the call correctly.

When I exchanged a Play:5 speaker, due to a faulty WiFi adapter, which was a while back now, I found Sonos Customer Staff to be really helpful and understanding. Their service was excellent and they did not quibble about the matter at all. It’s replacement proved to be absolutely fine and it continues to work perfectly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This really isn’t going well. I seem to be being passed from pillar to post regarding the latest sub (with the faulty paintwork) with boilerplate suggestions how to remove marks despite me being quite clear that I really don’t think this is something *on* the paintwork but the paintwork *itself*. The latest is them asking for additional details such as the serial number of the unit so that they can check to see if it is still in warranty - they seem to have forgot they only sent this out to me as a replacement for the original 30-day unit two days ago (and in this case it is the same person asking that sent it out!). Perhaps this is a consequence of there being so many people involved (at least half a dozen now) across two case references (I did ask for it all to be kept on the same one but they assured it made no difference) and they aren’t joining the dots.

With two faulty subs and a £750 charge hold on my credit card I feel close to the end of my tether on this. I am going to get in touch with the retailer tomorrow morning and discuss possible returning my original unit to them and I will get Sonos to collect their paint-damaged sub. I did speak to the retailer originally, and they were great with discussing the issue and sent me a photo of their shop unit which also showed a bowed side panel and so between us we concluded it was ‘normal’ - it was only the subsequent discussion on here and Sonos confirming it was faulty having taken a look themselves did I opt to take up Sonos’ offer of a direct replacement. The retailer was happy with that (obviously!) but did reassure me that the remainder of the 6yr guarantee through them wouldn’t be affected. I think I’d prefer to deal with them - and only them - directly from now on. What to do in the long run I don’t know though - I suppose one of the downsides to buying in to Sonos (only an Arc, so far!) is that I can’t add components from anyone else.

So disappointed with all of this. It took me ages to convince myself to pay out what for me is a very large amount of money for this sub, and this really isn’t the situation I ever imagined myself to be sitting in. I don’t know which I feel more disappointed by - the quality of the units I’ve received or the customer service surrounding it. Both unexpectedly poor really. It sounds good though; I’ll give them that. ;-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No one likes an unhappy ending and I am pleased to report we finally got there with this.

A third sub arrived and it had a properly fitting panel and no paint issues, and Sonos have just advised me that my other two subs arrived safely in Poland and the £1500 charge hold remove from my credit card.

All’s well that ends well as they say (although I do still think it’s a shame I had these issues).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No one likes an unhappy ending and I am pleased to report we finally got there with this.

A third sub arrived and it had a properly fitting panel and no paint issues, and Sonos have just advised me that my other two subs arrived safely in Poland and the £1500 charge hold remove from my credit card.

All’s well that ends well as they say (although I do still think it’s a shame I had these issues).

Good. You did the right thing to stick with it. In my experience, the inconvenience is soon forgotten, whereas the product defect would always be there to remind you.