Stream audio to Sonos unit from iOS device over Wi-Fi

Badge +2

Greetings!

My system includes:

1 x Connect (ZP90) (connected to LAN via ethernet)

2 x Connect:Amp (ZP120)

All running S1 with the latest firmware and software.

I want to play audio (for example, YouTube video) from a iOS device to a Sonos unit over Wi-Fi.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hi. It is possible using Airplay,  but only to Airplay compatible Sonos devices. If you got one of those you could group it with existing devices to bring Airplay to them

Or you could get a Roam when it is launched and use Bluetooth in a similar way.

Badge +2

Hi. It is possible using Airplay,  but only to Airplay compatible Sonos devices. If you got one of those you could group it with existing devices to bring Airplay to them

Or you could get a Roam when it is launched and use Bluetooth in a similar way.

Thank you.

How do I check Airplay compatibility of the existing Sonos devices?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Be aware the Arc, the Five and the Roam are Airplay capable, but not S1-capable.

Badge +2

Thank you. Now I see that my current devices are not Airplay capable.

I will consider purchasing an Airplay module and then group it with existing devices to bring Airplay to them.

Be aware the Arc, the Five and the Roam are Airplay capable, but not S1-capable.

Thank you.

Got it!

Yes, thanks @106rallye . Good catch. 

Badge +2

By the way, do S1 and S2 devices leave together in peace?

By the way, do S1 and S2 devices leave together in peace?

I’ll assume that was ”live together” until Autocorrect got its hands on it…

“S1 and S2 devices” is the wrong way to look at it.  S1 and S2 are systems.  Some Sonos devices are compatible with S1 only, some with both S1 and S2, and some with S2 only.

Any devices you put into an S1 system will work together.  Likewise, any devices you put into an S2 system will work together.  But if you run both an S1 system and an S2 system, the two Sonos systems will be entirely separate.

Badge +2

OK, got it!

All of my devices are running S1. Is there an Airplay compatible device running S1?

What you really mean is are there any speakers that are capable of joining an S1 system and that are Airplay compatible?The answer is all the speakers in the Airplay document I linked except the ones that can only join S2. @106rallye  has already stated those.