Stolen PLAY:1

Userlevel 2
Hi, I have a sonos system. I use the system to play music from my Spotify account. One of my speakers have been stolen. I notice today when using spotify on my computer, that the music ends with the notification that my account are used elsewhere.

Is it true that my account are stored in the stolen PLAY:1, and is it possible to use that account as long as i don't change my password?

One more delicate question is if you think there is possible for Sonos or Spotify to trace the location of the stolen speaker?

regards
/Thomas

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Welcome to the forums.

The settings are stored in each and every Sonos Player, so yes your Spotify account details are still in the Play:1. You should change your Spotify password immediately via their website. Then go into your own Sonos settings and Reauthorise the Spotify account there with the new credentials.

Unfortunately your Play:1 will also carry the SonosID of your system, which ties into your email address and Sonos account details. AFAIK this shouldn't present a security risk, but if the felon tries to add further devices they'll appear in the product list on your Sonos account and you could receive email notifications.

The best precaution would be to change the email of that account, to something disposable, then factory reset your system and register it afresh with your normal email. Unfortunately this would trash all your settings and Sonos Playlists. You might want to consult with Sonos Support before doing anything drastic.

As for tracing the user of your stolen Play:1 it would be tough to see how this could be done. Its unique attribute is its serial number, which would only be exposed to Sonos when it asks for software updates. In theory that would also reveal the user's public IP address, but since these usually change dynamically it would probably be of little use without involving the law enforcement authorities and the thief's ISP.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the clarification, and your advise to reset the system.
Badge
It might not hurt to contact Sonos support and tell them, especially if you still have the serial number. Perhaps at a minimum, they could block it from receiving updates. Doesn't get your player back or catch the bad guy, but it's something.
In theory that would also reveal the user's public IP address, but since these usually change dynamically it would probably be of little use without involving the law enforcement authorities and the thief's ISP.

Just as a point of reference, I had a laptop stolen a couple of years ago. However I had some remote control software installed on there, and while I suspect the software was uninstalled before I was able to do anything, it did give me the last public IP address that the laptop had connected to the central server from.

I gave this IP address to the Police, and using this they were able to trace it back to a private residence.... where they found the laptop! Not sure where the OP is based, but in the UK the police def can use that information.

ISP IP addresses don't usually change that often either. Before the DHCP release expires, the local router\modem will request a renewal and will usually keep the same address. Plus even if it does change, then I believe the ISP's need to keep logs to find out the information.

If its been stolen, then I suspect you will have already reported it to the law, so if Sonos were able to give you a Public IP the Police should be able to use it to find the building its in - bar the guy using VPN etc.
Sonos support has been of MINIMAL help in regards to my stolen Play 5 speaker. After reading the forums my boyfriend called and opened a ticket. We were informed we needed to have the local police call them and reference our ticket number and then they'd be able to assist because there isn't anything they can communicate to us directly. After working with the police and then getting a detective to be involved and begging him to call Sonos, he finally calls them. He tells me that Sonos told him about the device registration and says they'll contact us with the next steps. I get a new ticket number from Sonos and the same canned response from the first ticket we opened... I reply back and tell them you spoke with the police which is why you opened a new ticket and give them the existing ticket number. They merge the ticket and then tell me in order to move forward they need the police report number... They had the detective on the phone and did not ask him for the police report number and wanted me to call him back to get it... I'm pissed at this point. They try contacting the detective again - who likely isn't going to respond for one speaker that's been stolen (it's only important to me), and now it's a few days and they just want to close the ticket, thus providing no help at all. This has been the most frustrating process and there is little if any help from Sonos or the police. :@:@:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To be fair I'm not really sure what you expect Sonos to do?

It's a police matter and with all due respect is going to be quite low on their list of priorities.
Usually how these things go is the company communicates exclusively with the police. Getting yourself involved in the investigation is not recommended, because the police are required to keep you out of the loop due to liability issues. They don't want you going all vigilante on them, so let them handle it. Though the chance of recovery is probably slim. Not because it isn't easy to track a registered device, but because petty theft (anything under $2000) is not high on the list police priorities.
I had no idea what Sonos was capable of doing, which is why I went to the forums and researched my options and opened a ticket. I only expected them to do what they said they would do. Here is what they sent me initially:

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care. I'm sorry to hear your speaker was stolen.

I would advise contacting your local police department to file a report with them and to also provide the serial numbers of the devices. We are unable to discuss the details of these investigations directly, but we will work with the police to resolve this issue and reunite you with your Sonos.

If you have already opened a report with your local police department, then we will await their call to continue the investigation. However, if you have any further questions about this incident or another, please contact us. We'll be happy to help!

Because of that I did my part and had the detective I was working with contact them. At that point they proceed to send me this same message and start the loop all over again. As you mentioned, this is petty theft and I had to beg the detective to call them in the first place and now I have to beg him again to call back to get the report number/information when they already had him on the phone. Sonos kept putting me in the middle and I did what was requested to help. I just want my speaker back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi LoLo5,

Do you mind private messaging me the ticket number you have from working with our team? We'll look into it for you and see what can be done. In general, we can work with the authorities and provide whatever information is available, but we can't directly provide you with the information. What that information is depends a lot on the status of the stolen unit.

Looking forward to your message.
Badge
I don't think you're right to get mad at Sonos.

They don't have to help you. Any bit of help they give you should be a bonus.

Someone stealing your Sonos product is between you, the thief, and the police.
Userlevel 2
Badge
He does have a right to be pissed at Sonos.

I work in an industry that deals with police requests of this nature on a regular basis. Sonos is technically obliged by law to cooperate fully.

What pisses me off though is when things like this get given a low priority on the corporate end, or things get dicked with (Not giving complete info/numbers/etc when they know fully well they have to or should). Things where it's blatantly being ignored, sidetracked, or given canned replies.

The police will naturally not put up with that kind of BS and eventually just stop working on the issue, since it's not a huge value in their mind. But this leaves the customer up shit creek. In the end, the customer has had their property stolen, the police have done their due diligence, but because someone at Sonos can't be bothered to deal with it, the customer is left on the hook having to do the footwork, and forcing the two parties to sort their shit out. That should not be in the hands of the customer to have to do at all. Regardless if the item is $1 or $1M.

Something as ignorant as canned replies and not giving report numbers is a serious PITA in a situation where time is of the essence.
Sonos cares about it's customers? Then they need to do what is needed to help them, not give them a run-around, especially when time is sensitive.

I should add that I'm glad to see there is a Sonos reply on the thread... but it should have never gotten to a point where this thread was needed in the first place.

I hope for the OP sake that they get their stuff back.

EDIT: I'm assuming Sonos doesn't have a framework in place to deal with something like this. I would suggest they put one in. I personally know of 2 Sonos thefts in public venues (Hotels) where a PLAY:1 and PLAY:3 were snatched from a lobby. So this does happen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
EDIT: I'm assuming Sonos doesn't have a framework in place to deal with something like this. I would suggest they put one in. I personally know of 2 Sonos thefts in public venues (Hotels) where a PLAY:1 and PLAY:3 were snatched from a lobby. So this does happen.

We do have a framework in place for this sort of situation. We're happy to work with the police and will provide all of the information we can to the officers. We just need a police report to make sure we're not giving away sensitive information to the wrong people.

LoLo5 has been working with us lately on this issue. Thanks everyone for being interested.
Badge
I recently had a Sonos 1 stolen and didn't think I'd ever see it again. I purchased a new one to replace it had to go through the registration process again to activate it. I remembered doing this less than one year earlier for the stolen unit. But, I was shocked to see that in the list of my registered products in my Sonos account page the only unit registered was the new one I just bought and activated. I pulled up my confirmation email from Sonos a year earlier welcoming me to the community and telling me my product was now registered. A lot of good that does when someone can steal your speaker, factory reset it a kill your registration information.

At this point I've been working with Sonos to submit a police report and get an investigation started. I realized if they could identify my unit's serial # (I can't since it is missing and I didn't save the box. Why would I if I registered the product?) they should be able to identify if that unit is in service on another account and maybe get enough info for the police to locate it.

What bugs me is my product registration info is gone from my account in their system. This should not be able to happen and is clearly a security vulnerability. Hopefully with my purchase receipt and registration confirmation, both of which I provided to Sonos, they can identify the SN# and locate it.