Answered

Stereo pair with Symfonisk

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Would I be able to join a Symfonisk speaker with a Play: 1 to create a stereo pair?
icon

Best answer by Misfit 2 August 2019, 21:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Check out Sonosequencer  for IOS only

I have a bookshelf and just bought a lamp today.  Could not create a stereo pair as it said my speakers were incompatible.  Was getting ready to bring it back to Ikea when I discovered that by adding it to a group (both are in the same room) they will play together!

Purists may argue that it is not a genuine stereo sound but I’m perfectly happy and it sounds fab to my untrained ear!

It isn’t any kind of stereo, ‘purist’ or not. The bookshelf and the lamp are each playing both the channels combined. Each speaker is mono. Perfectly acceptable if you just want to have a wash of sound across the room, but there’s no stereo image.

Indeed.  I don’t need to have stereo sound, I just wanted both speakers to play simultaneously!

I have a bookshelf and just bought a lamp today.  Could not create a stereo pair as it said my speakers were incompatible.  Was getting ready to bring it back to Ikea when I discovered that by adding it to a group (both are in the same room) they will play together!

Purists may argue that it is not a genuine stereo sound but I’m perfectly happy and it sounds fab to my untrained ear!

It isn’t any kind of stereo, ‘purist’ or not. The bookshelf and the lamp are each playing both the channels combined. Each speaker is mono. Perfectly acceptable if you just want to have a wash of sound across the room, but there’s no stereo image.

Yes, the same model. So, no, a stereo pair can not be made with a Symfonisk bookshelf and a lamp. It would need to be two Symfonisk bookshelves, or two lamps. 

If you have an iOS device, you could try Sonosequencer.  I am an android guy so I have not tried it personally, but other threads on these forums have suggested that as a solution to pair disparate models.

Yes, the same model. So, no, a stereo pair can not be made with a Symfonisk bookshelf and a lamp. It would need to be two Symfonisk bookshelves, or two lamps. 

No. Needs to be a 1 to 1 pair.

So you would need two of the same Symfonisk speakers, or two Play:1's in order to create a stereo pair.

What about a Symfonisk bookshelf and a lamp? Do we know if they would be stereo pairable? I assume by “same” you mean the same model..?

I fully understand the discerning tastes of the audiophiles that may demand perfection in tonal balance and freq. response, however, I would like to have the option of stereo pair any Sonos One-based or three based, or 5-based products. In particular the Symfonysk line with the One series. Same wooffer, tweeter and x-over electronics inside would be close enough for my less that acoustically ideal room.

This will become more and more problematic as Sonos continues to expand it product lines.   the Open API Developer network could easily solve this with a software update.

Is the Sonosquencer app available on android?

Sorry to poke this one again, but...

If the symfonysk is a Play 1 in new clothes, why can't I stereo pair it?

I want a light in the corner of my living room, so I've replaced a play 1 with a symfonysk. In the other corner is a play 1 I used in a stereo pair as the back of my living room system. I don't want a light there.

They're essentially the same speaker. So surely pairing them should be allowed?

Even if some of the electronics were shared, they're manifestly not the same speaker in terms of acoustic design/signature. The frequency responses and phase characteristics would differ. A stereo image would skew. Since Sonos cares are about how well their speakers perform it's no surprise that they only allow identical designs to be paired.

You can of course group, as two 'rooms', to get a noise from two directions.

If you're determined to pair dissimilar models you may be able to do so with the SonoSequencr app.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Sorry to poke this one again, but...

If the symfonysk is a Play 1 in new clothes, why can't I stereo pair it?

I want a light in the corner of my living room, so I've replaced a play 1 with a symfonysk. In the other corner is a play 1 I used in a stereo pair as the back of my living room system. I don't want a light there.

They're essentially the same speaker. So surely pairing them should be allowed?
Wouldn’t it sound out of balance if you had different speaker models in a stereo pair? Having to be identical makes so much more sense.
I would think so, plus isn’t there perhaps also a risk/chance, that if any damage, or a problem, did occur with either speaker, that’s using such unsupported pairing, that it might invalidate any existing warranty/access to customer support.
Badge
Wouldn’t it sound out of balance if you had different speaker models in a stereo pair? Having to be identical makes so much more sense.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Yeah understandably so.

There are some 3rd party apps that may allow you to do this though. Check out Sonosequencer

I have no personal experience with it so cannot vouch for it. And seeing how the Symfonisk speakers are brand new, don't know how the Sonosequencer will interact with them.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
That's too bad. OK. Thanks for the quick reply.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
No. Needs to be a 1 to 1 pair.

So you would need two of the same Symfonisk speakers, or two Play:1's in order to create a stereo pair.