Standby time of Roam

• 23 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi was wondering how long you guys are finding standby lasts on the roam.  Had mine Wednesday, was on 79% yesterday got up this morning and down to 39%. Hasn’t been used so just in standby mode.  Cheers Chris 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Thanks, I contacted support they made a few suggestions, including I need to charge with a more powerful brick (higher wattage) but I don’t have one with the output they suggested.  To be honest it’s pretty terrible.  I had already disabled voice assistant, so left on standby to test and didn’t use at all and it lasted 2 days before the battery died.  I like the product, but like you regret my purchase as battery life is awful and doesn’t really live up to the advertised specification.

Badge +17

Hi @CGS0nos,

Battery life is dependent on a number of factors, such as ambient/battery temperature, frequency of network updates and amount of times woken from sleep. We’re also aware of an issue with Google Assistant causing excessive battery drain, so I suggest either using another voice assistant for the time being or using a charger more frequently to keep Roam topped up until the issue is solved.

Confirmed. 1-2% loss per day if turned completely off. But turning it off takes longer, and turning it on takes longer, and sometimes it then won't connect. Not ideal, obviously. Hoping for a firmware update to fix this. If not, this is a fundamentally broken product. Effectively, it does not have a useable stand-by mode.

Same issue. Fully charged Friday night by using Apple brick that charges iPad and MacBook Air just fine. Use it twice over the weekend for 15 minutes, turn it off after use. Tuesday night it dies. I mean, seriously? I don't use any voice assistants. Battery life is horrendous! Is my device defective?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Same issue. Fully charged Friday night by using Apple brick that charges iPad and MacBook Air just fine. Use it twice over the weekend for 15 minutes, turn it off after use. Tuesday night it dies. I mean, seriously? I don't use any voice assistants. Battery life is horrendous! Is my device defective?

Do you mean that you’re switching it completely off or are you leaving it in standby? To switch it completely off you have to press the button for about 3 to 5 seconds until it beeps a few times and then all the lights go off.

When I switch mine completely off it is probably losing about 1% per day in standby.

Do you mean that you’re switching it completely off or are you leaving it in standby? To switch it completely off you have to press the button for about 3 to 5 seconds until it beeps a few times and then all the lights go off.

When I switch mine completely off it is probably losing about 1% per day in standby.

Thanks, good tip, I just set it to standby. Will test later. 

But for crying out loud, standby of 4 days? I hope this is something they can fix with a firmware update.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks, good tip, I just set it to standby. Will test later. 

But for crying out loud, standby of 4 days? I hope this is something they can fix with a firmware update.

I agree, the standby time is awful. Because I’m only using mine for 1 or 2 hours a week I have to power mine down completely after every use. The battery life for me using it this way is acceptable but it shouldn’t need complete power downs to have a decent life between uses in my opinion.

Badge

Hi was wondering how long you guys are finding standby lasts on the roam.  Had mine Wednesday, was on 79% yesterday got up this morning and down to 39%. Hasn’t been used so just in standby mode.  Cheers Chris 

I have the same issue and see that pretty much everyone has the same issue. I have cheaper JBL speakers that keep their charge for weeks but the Roam is really poor. Only option is to turn off voice assistant (still testing) and turn off the device after use and do not rely on the standby mode. Very poor product and regret buying.

Hi @CGS0nos,

Battery life is dependent on a number of factors, such as ambient/battery temperature, frequency of network updates and amount of times woken from sleep. We’re also aware of an issue with Google Assistant causing excessive battery drain, so I suggest either using another voice assistant for the time being or using a charger more frequently to keep Roam topped up until the issue is solved.

Hi James, had a reply from support and they told me the brick I was using had a lower power output, I didn’t have a larger output one so asked if you could send me one, that wasn’t possible yet.  I wanted a speaker I could move around which worked in tandem with my Sonos system, so the reason I bought was for the portability and not keep on the charger, as defeats the object.  What swung the purchase was the advertised battery and standby times looked very good, and I could use with Alexa, non of which work well, so I wish I didn’t buy it if I’m honest. To close it would be good to seeSonos would confirm they are working towards some kind of software update to try and improve this and send the consumers a charger with the correct power output.

Thanks Chris

p.s I don’t use google assist and have disabled alexa