Answered

Speakers never working

• 14 November 2020
  • 4 replies

I have had Sonos for a couple of years had issues with it off and on recently i added a beam and sub to my 2 play 1 in my living room and now I have nothing but problems.  Most of the time the beam won’t show up but when it finally does one of the other speakers or sub won’t show up. I have tried everything (reboot router remove all speakers and add them again etc.) to get it working, I bought a boost to see if that would help but it did nothing. What is wrong with these why don’t they work I am ready to go out and buy a different brand that works.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 January 2021, 17:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

So, there are at least two potential issues that you could be dealing with, and maybe more. Unfortunately, removing and re-adding the speakers won’t address either of these. At best, it would temporarily mask either issue.

First, I would recommend reading the wifi interference FAQ. It’s likely that there are potential solutions within that may help your situation.

Second, I’d try a network refresh, when done in the right order, it will clear out any potential duplicate IP address issues caused by the router handing out bad data. First, unplug all Sonos devices from power. Then reboot your router. Only once the router comes back up should you plug the Sonos back in. No need to ‘remove and re-add’ them. 

These two possibilities would resolve 99% of situations similar to yours, but if you’re in that 1%, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

A great shame. So many technical problems with Sonos products. The company is a disgrace.

DO NOT BUY ANY SONOS PRODUCTS

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

A great shame. So many technical problems with Sonos products. The company is a disgrace.

DO NOT BUY ANY SONOS PRODUCTS

Hm, very helpful. 

The thing is that the potential causes Airgetlam describes will remain a problem should the TS decide to go for another WIFI based system. Problems are almost always network related. Technical problems relating to the speakers themselves are rather rare actually.

The difficulty is, as I see it, that people don’t recognize that a network based speaker system is reliant on a good network. No matter how much money is spent, no matter how much it should ‘just work’, there are base requirements.

And unfortunately, many people don’t understand the complexity and potential fragility of basic networking, which is much more complex than what they’re used to when wiring a traditional receiver and speakers.