Question

Speakers keep cutting out, keeps skipping to next track

• 21 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have 9 Sonos speakers (5 Play:1 speakers, 2 Beam speakers (1 with a paired Sub), 1 Playbar (with a paired Sub), 1 Play:5) with a Boost.  I have an Orbi mesh WiFi system with 1 router and 3 satellites.  WiFi coverage and speeds are not an issue (get anywhere from 200-500Mbps on my other wireless devices).

When I have all my speakers playing the same music, speakers will randomly cut in and out, repeatedly.  Songs skipping to the next track has happened occasionally in the past, but recently it is happening ALL the time.  Neither problem used to be this bad.  I have turned my Boost off and back on.  I have checked the Sonos app for updates, but the app and the speakers are all up to date.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar or is it just me?  Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There are two possibilities that immediately spring to mind.

First is simple wifi interference, it is worth reading through the FAQ, and applying such resolutions as may apply to your situation.

Second, and less likely, is a duplicate IP issue in your router. Quickly resolved by a simple refresh of your network by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then while they are unplugged, rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. Note that this is a quicker way, but can also be achieved as a more permanent solution if you set up assigned/reserved IP addresses for all your devices in your router’s DHCP table.

However, if neither of those solutions work for you, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for the reply! 

I had read through that FAQ, but it doesn’t seem like wireless interference is an issue in my case.  

I wish there was a way to just reboot all the Sonos speakers from the app when there isn’t an update available so that we don’t have to walk around to all the speakers (yes, I know, a very first-world problem).  

I’m hesitant to call Sonos just because the last time I called them a few years ago, they were supremely unhelpful, but if this issue continues, I may have to resort to that.  

Yea, that function was blocked a while back when Sonos had to tighten up security on the system. So, it’s either walking around, or setting up reserved IP addresses in the router’s DHCP table….assuming it really is a duplicate IP address issue.

Sonos has, I believe, reduced some support staff, so calling in might take longer to get an answer than before, but you can always post the diagnostic here, and get some support from the forum moderators….but I’m not fond of the asynchronous nature of those interactions, I want to get an ‘immediate’ resolution, which isn’t always possible in a text exchange. Not impossible, though.