speaker request: smaller than PLAY:1 speaker

• 31 October 2014
  • 9 replies

Customer requesting new speaker size, smaller than play:1 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

What would be the application for this? Any room too small to accommodate a Play1 is probably too small for normal sized people to fit into.

Also if you reduce the driver size any further would the unit be able to produce reasonable sounding music without a sub?
I would love to have a smaller Sonos speakers for my kid's rooms, which are smaller than 12x12. I want all the conveniences of the having speakers in their room as part of my Sonos system, without having to invest in the Play 1. I would LOVE a Play 0.5!
I own 3 Play:5 and 6 Play:1 speakers so i have sound in all my rooms. Now i want to have sound in my guest toilet which size is only 1m2. Like darlene_1 i think the only Investment in a Play:1 is not worth it and the driver would definitely not have to be too big in a Play:0.5
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would be nice to have a smaller one that mounts on the wall. I have dead spots even with a playbar, 2 play5's, and 5 Play1's. I have the entire master bath that is not covered, a wall mounted smaller unit that could mount away from a water source would be great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestion of making a player smaller than the PLAY:1. I'll send along a feature request to the team.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Was going to post on this very topic and found this thread! Have Sonos in some rooms, but if listening to something and go into kitchen or bathroom I have to turn lounge or bedroom volumes up loud to continue listening. Have considered Play 1s but they would be way OTT for these other rooms, in size, sound level and cost. A smaller speaker would be perfect. Battery powered even better.
Please give this some thought Sonos. There must be a market for smaller add-on speakers for smaller rooms of the house.
I doubt Sonos is going to drop the entry cost below $150. I get the desire to have audio in smaller places, but Sonos isn't just seling a speaker, they are selling their multiroom technology. Price just can't get much lower. Perhaps they could come out with some sort pack of 2 or more smaller speaker sizes that would be priced around the $200 range, or something like that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My bathroom (5'x9') sounds really nice with a Play 1 sitting on the over toilet cabinets. I can't see Sonos going much smaller as they couldn't drop the price much and the sound would likely suffer a lot.
Another reason why this may not be forthcoming is that for the small form factor to be fully exploited to the extent that may be needed to get an adequate return on the development cost, the speaker needs to have both bluetooth and a rechargeable battery so that it can be used on the road as well. Or even outdoors at home without leaving it outdoors in bad weather.