Question

Speaker Naming with DHCP Router

• 14 July 2019
  • 3 replies

My Sonos system is functioning well (plays music), but my router is not reporting some of the speakers correctly. Specifically the speaker relocated from the family room and much of the Sonos Beam speakers that now operate at a home theatre in that room are not reported entirely correctly by the router - the DHCP router (Netgear C7100) reports the IP address and MAC address correctly, but does not report the speaker name that is programmed into the router.

The speakers have been factory reset (using power ON procedure), yet this does not seem to impact a speaker’s name.

· The speaker originally in the family room was named ’Sonos-FR’ and was correctly reported by the router when in this original location. Due to a new Sonos home theatre installation, the speaker was relocated to the master bedroom and the DHCP router was configured to rename the device ‘Sonos-MB’. The DHCP router, however, still reports this speaker as ‘Sonos-FR’. The Sonos app/controller was changed for this new room and the room correctly shows on the app/controller.

· The new home theatre speakers (4) show the name of three of these speakers as ‘Sonos ZP’, even though the router is programmed to indicate ‘Sonos-Sub’, ‘Sonos-LS’ and “Sonos-RS’. The router does show IP and MAC indications correctly and the Sonos app/controller does correctly have them function as a group and show information on the app/controller. The Sonos soundbar does report correctly from the router (IP address, MAC, and name – ‘Sonos-Soundbar’ and the app/controller.

Do you have any suggestions to reprogram speaker names?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Don't do factory resets unless Sonos support tells you to, it causes many more problems than it solves.

The names you see in the Sonos controller are set from there and not shown on your network. The names set by your DHCP server aren't used by Sonos, for several things you can't even use them to connect with and must use the IP address.

You might look at your DHCP server and delete any old leases, leaving only the properly named new ones. Check for any static DNS names and remove any for your Sonos too. Power down the router and all Sonos. Power up the router and let it stabilize. Power up any wired Sonos devices at about minute intervals, then sound bars and such then surrounds. That should clear out the old leases and names.
With reference to Stanley_4's comment about not being able to use a network name when targeting a unit by URL, I believe Sonos now blocks this to mitigate DNS rebinding attacks.

Frankly it's rather a waste of time setting network names for the Sonos units in the DHCP server. They have little if any use, other than perhaps for network scanners.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I do it because I find having the name next to the MAC and IP in the router DHCP config is convenient, also the network names are easier to remember than IP addresses when digginf in my router logs, DNS server / blocklist reports and as was said in my network scanner when trying to track down Sonos oddities.

Certainly no Sonos related reason to do so these days.