Answered

Speaker is blown

• 19 April 2018
  • 15 replies

I have a play 1 speaker that is blown I have only had the speaker 4 years has anyone else experienced this issue?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 April 2018, 23:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Hello there, mkersey. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. In most cases where users describe problems with audio quality, I recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are also able to replace the unit if needed. Thanks!
Same thing happened to me. Not sure what to do as the speaker is no longer under warranty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Call Sonos - that is only option

It is very rare for a speaker to Blow in a Play:1 - - since each driver has its own amplifier that knows the limits for the driver.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Same thing happened to me. Not sure what to do as the speaker is no longer under warranty.

If you read the post above yours a Sonos rep gives you the advice you request
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Me too. I have 5 play 1's (plus a couple 5's and a sub). I have 2 that were bought about the same time, paired as a left and right. They are in front of my desk, and behind me, 2 play 5's and a sub paired. Together I group them for my 'stereo'. Anyway, the right, front Play 1 appears to be blown. Rattles and buzzes with any kind of base, very annoying. All others are fine. I often have it CRANKED on Friday nights listening to Springsteen on SiriusXM. Maybe that broke it. I don't want to buy a new one to replace it. Not sure where Sonos are going as a company so....
Wish I could get it fixed instead of replacing it.
Cheers

Call Sonos - that is only option

It is very rare for a speaker to Blow in a Play:1 - - since each driver has its own amplifier that knows the limits for the driver.

Same thing just happened to our Play 1 after only 2 years and not touching the volume, which is never set above 75% and only playing Disney movie soundtracks. Considering the number of reports I’ve found recently regarding blown Play 1 speakers I don’t think this is rare at all.

Please direct us to these reports,  as I have somehow missed them. 

Please direct us to these reports,  as I have somehow missed them. 

Well, I started by searching ‘Blown Play 1 speaker’ on these forums and found over 200 topics, some of which have hundreds, thousands and one with over 11k views which suggests that this isn’t a ‘rare’ issue that I’ve had with mine. Popped over to Reddit to find a few pages of blown Sonos speaker threads as well. I’m responding to the idea that this is very rare and in fact shouldn’t even happen to a Sonos speaker, yet here we are. I’m not complaining because its 2 year warranty is up but I’m a bit suprised that it’s only lasted that long considering the way it’s been used.

Number of views does not, unfortunately, correlate to number of instance of occurrence. For instance, both John and I have viewed your thread, adding to the threads view count, but neither of us have apparently experienced this issue. 

I am unsurprised that there are not many more threads from people stating their speakers have not blown, as a general population, humans tend not to post when things are working. It’s like going to a hospital, you normally see lots of sick people. Or reading the newspaper, there are many more reports of trouble than there are of good things occurring. 

None of that changes the fact that you’ve blown your speaker, though. There isn’t much the community can do, other than commiserate. I would certainly recommend that you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Not that many topics, according to the below forum search that I did a few moments ago, considering Sonos sell over 1200+ units every single day of the year .. and the Play:1 speaker has been a big part of those sales since its launch in October 2013.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play:1

@Null_Unit  I think you will find that if you search for a phrase on this forum it will find threads that include any of the words,  e.g. Play:1. Hardly any of the threads found are actually about blown Play:1 speakers  

And as for going by the number of views... 

Just nonsense I'm afraid. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

To effectively search here you really have to use an external search engine that has much better filtering and matching options. Most will accept the site: option to limit your search to just these forums and have advanced searching options.

site:en.community.sonos.com

That will get you posts though, not topics. So some assembly required to get a topic total.

Not to get into the bickering match on how to search for posts on a forum… blown sonos speakers are not nonsense.

I have a soundbar with (3) blown drivers in it. I had the same response from support: “Pay us $500 and we’ll send you another”.

No thanks...

I’ve found that there are speakers that we can buy that will fit into the factory locations of the SONOS enclosures. I believe that Sonos uses AIYIMA speakers in their products and you can search for them online. They are inexpensive. Total cost to repair my soundbar will be ~$50

Hello there, mkersey. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. In most cases where users describe problems with audio quality, I recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are also able to replace the unit if needed. Thanks!

“They” are not replacing a 4yr/old unit… Not without paying for it.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Sonos speakers never fail.  Like any consumer product, it’s going to happen.  The issue is whether it happens too frequently, which I don’t think you can prove or disprove with anecdotal evidence.

As far as repair, Sonos doesn’t support any repairs, and therefore there are no certified repair shops or anything like that.  I’m sure some will do it anyway and more power to them.

And as pointed out, Sonos has a habit of offering discounts on the purchase of replacement speakers when an out of warranty speaker fails.