Speaker in multiple groups

• 14 February 2015
  • 9 replies

Hi all

currently I have 1 Playbar, 1 Sub, and 2 Play1. All grouped together in "Living Room".

I would like to be able to create two groups:

- Living Room TV (all of the above)
- Living Room Musik (just Sub and Play 1 or Sub and Playbar)

right now this is not possible as a single speaker cannot be in more than one group ......

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Your Playbar, Sub and Play 1's as surround sound are not grouped, they are bonded. This means they are effectively one zone. You can remove the Sub and Play 1's and use them in a different setup but that would mean you would have to re-bond them to your PlayBar each time.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Whatever it's called, I've seen many people requesting groups or "scenes" that can be saved and called any time. This would be useful for the alarm settings also. I also think if we could save a list of groups we use frequently that would be a great feature.
Yea. Please add this as a feature. I have play 1s with a playbar and sub and would love to move the play 1s to other rooms when not watching a movie. It would make the system more versatile.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I need this too!
I noticed the request is 2 years old. It seems like an easy fix though...
I need this too!
I noticed the request is 2 years old. It seems like an easy fix though...

As a software engineer, if I had a nickel for every time someone said "It seems like an easy fix", I could afford a new Play:5. 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
How would you fix this?
It's impossible to answer that question if you aren't familiar with how the software is structured. It's sort of like asking someone to make a car go sideways, when they don't know a thing about how the car is made, they just know that the car's 'go'.

On top of that, sometimes these changes require you to 'break' something that works perfectly fine right now...or change how it works. Sure, you could rebuild it, but that takes extra time and testing and such, with greater risks of bugs you missed. Going back to the car example, you got the car going sideways, but now drivers are confused about how to put the car in reverse (and they are pissed because they were comfortable with how it used to be) and the brake light isn't always coming on.

I'm not at all saying changes should never happen, just that what seems easy from the outside looking in is often very much not the case.
How would you fix this?

As stated by others, without intimate knowledge of the software architecture, I would not hazard a guess as to the methodology or difficulty of such a task. I leave those statements to the engineers who actually work on it. If only others would do the same.
Userlevel 1
Badge
At least the topic is active again :)
Maybe one of the Sonos software engineers can give some clarification?