Question

Soundbar distortion

• 5 June 2019
  • 3 replies

I’m experiencing sound bar distortion in the bass, lower frequency spectrum, when watching TV at low to medium sound level. The soundbar is connected via optical. Any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not particularly. Since it's a digital signal, the only potential would be if there was some sort of issue between the transmission and reception points. i.e. the plugs of the optical cable not being seated properly, or the optical cable having a kink/broken part somewhere in it.

There's always the remote possibility that there's an issue with the "soundbar", which wouldn't show up on a diagnostic, so if, after checking the cabling, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7. It's much harder to "hear" any distortion when you're in text, though.
Thanks for your thoughts, it appears that this is a ongoing issue that has affected other Sonos users. I’ve searched the topic and seen a few threads of the same topic.

im hopeful that the Sonos community will have solutions that were previously given to them by the Sonos team.
Badge
I have a sound bar with sub optically connected and noticed some very low freq distortion the other day.

It was intermittent and on a recording on a Xfinity x1.