SonosNet Mesh Network

• 7 February 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a PLAY:5 v2 speaker which I use in standard setup (ie using the home WiFI network) and I understand that if I connect it directly to the router a seperate mesh network will be created.

My question is this. I control my music from an iPhone. Can I access the Sonos speaker while connected to my home WiFi network or do I have to be connected to this SonosNet mesh network?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

SonosNet isn't strictly a completely separate network.. but the answer is that your phone can be on wifi while Sonos uses SonosNet. iPhones cannot connect to SonosNet, although Android devices can.

If you only have one speaker and an iPhone then SonosNet isn't really being used anyway, the data connection will be by Ethernet for the speaker and the iPhone cannot use SonosNet as mentioned above.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
ok, same question, but this time there are many and different sonos speakers...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Alpha Neuron. The number of Sonos devices is not a factor in John's response and it is still valid. If I have missed the point then I am afraid that I'm not sure what you mean. Can you rephrase your question for us?
Agree with Edward. When SonosNet is running, the iPhone talks to the router over WiFi, the router passes the information to SonosNet over a wired connection, the Sonos units pass data over SonosNet and/or Ethernet, depending on what is wired / wireless.