Answered

Sonos Zoneplayer S5 (Play:5 gen1) S2 compatibility

• 11 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi

I’ve just inherited my late father’s old Sonos Zoneplayer S5. 

I already have 2 Play 1s and a Play 3 on my system but note I have to use the old Sonos app to manage the Zoneplayer S5.

Are there any plans to update the new app to manage the Zoneplayer S5 at all?

Also is there any way to connect the Zoneplayer S5 to my Alexa system? 

Many thanks 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 12 February 2021, 16:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Which Sonos do you have a Play 5 Gen 1 or a Gen 2?

Are you using the S2 controller for your other Sonos and the S1 for your Play 5?

If you are on the S2 app and the Play 5 is a Gen 2 you should be able to do a Factory Reset (as you would when selling a Sonos) and then add it to your other Sonos on the S2 controller as a new Sonos.

If you are using S2 for your other Sonos and the Play 5 is a Gen 1 then it will have yo remain on the S1 controller and be treated as a different Sonos system.

Hi Stanley and thanks 

I have my Play 1s and Play 3 on the Sonos S2 Controller. I currently have the Play 5 (Gen 1) on the S1 Controller.

I just wondered if there are any future plans to update the S2 controller to include the Play 5 (Gen 1). 

Similarly can they Play 5 (Gen 1) be linked to Alexa?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can’t update S2 to support Gen 1 Play 5s as they don’t have the internal storage or RAM to allow it to load.

You could move all Sonos back to the S1 but you’d miss all the new stuff promised for S2. I’d do a trade-up and get 30% off an new Gen 2 Play 5. Actually that is what I did with both of my Gen 1 Plays.

Then either keep the old 5 on S1 or give/sell it off (note it was traded) to offset more of the cost of the new 5.

I don’t know Alexia but I think it can. Hopefully someone will know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mikeybell 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As @Stanley_4 said, a Play:5 generation 1 cannot - and will never - be able to work on a S2 system. I agree with him - your best option (if the Play:5 hasn’t already been used for the Upgrade program) might be to buy a new speaker (the Sonos Five is the currently available equivalent) or set (you don’t have to get a particular speaker) and to sell the Play:5 gen 1.

Alexa will work with a Play:5 gen 1, but please note that it will only work with one Sonos system - if you had both a S1 and a S2 system, you could only link one system to Alexa reliably. So yes, you can control a Play:5 with Alexa, but only if the Alexa account is not linked to another system.

If all the rooms across the two systems have unique names and are on the same Sonos account and local network, Alexa may work with both. As mentioned, it may not be reliable, however. You could use Alexa with one system and Google Assistant with another.