Answered

Sonos without wifi

• 23 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi, hope to be part of community as soon as the gen 2 will be read. I have selected the Five Model but I have a question. Apart for In Home use that is quite clear (WiFi, connection, app, etc.), I plan to use the speaker with my new Philips PPMax portable projector connected via mini Jack line in input.

In vacation I don't have access to WiFi or net connection except the one on my portable phone or tablet. The question is: this speaker works or can be used without WiFi connection using the line in input?

I don't want to buy something that I can't use outside home (price very High) but Five is actractive because alone can work as stereo speaker... 

Thanks to all

Rino

icon

Best answer by jgatie 25 June 2020, 18:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Rino2.
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

>I appreciate your interest in having the Sonos Five. Basically, all Sonos speakers will not work without WiFi or internet connection except for the portable which is called Sonos Move. 
>You can Play Line-In on your Sonos Five, and this article will guide you on how it works with compatible devices.
>For more information and specifics on this product just click here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Hi @Rino2.
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

>I appreciate your interest in having the Sonos Five. Basically, all Sonos speakers will not work without WiFi or internet connection except for the portable which is called Sonos Move. 
>You can Play Line-In on your Sonos Five, and this article will guide you on how it works with compatible devices.
>For more information and specifics on this product just click here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Sorry, but this is incorrect.  The Line-In on the Sonos Five will work without WiFi or internet, and will operate exactly as the OP wishes.  This feature used to be know as “Sonos To Go”, and though it is not advertised as such today, it still works the same way.  

To the OP:  Note that you MUST set the Line-In Autoplay to On before disconnecting the unit from WiFI, or the Line-In will not work when you get to your destination.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jgatie.

Thank you for pointing this out. You’re right, the Line-In on the Sonos Five will work without WiFi or internet after it was set up on the user’s network.

wow!

I love the quality and looks of their products but honestly, this unapproachable attitude is keeping me away.

@jgatie thanks@