Answered

sonos with an eero system

• 22 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

does anyone have a Sonos system with an eero router? I have a single eero router (not a mesh setup) and I’m experiencing a lot of issues with my Sonos system since I migrated my network to eero. 

I followed all the elementary steps in the Sonos app to reconnect the missing speaker. But what happens is that I’ll be able to only see the one wired in and not the wireless. connections is intermittent and speakers that are reconnected would go missing again. Sonos support mentioned that the eero is broadcasting two IP addresses? I know it has a single SSID with two separate bands 2.4 and 5. 

I know the forums are laced with issues with eero and Sonos but most of their setup is with the mesh system. Mine is not. 

Hardwiring the Sonos system is not feasible at this time. 

is this an issue with eero specifically? If so, I’ll return it. 

icon

Best answer by AudiophileBeta 11 March 2020, 23:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m confused you say “I’ll be able to only see the one wired in” and then “Hardwiring the Sonos system is not feasible at this time.”

I can’t tell from that if you have one or more connected to Ethernet or none connected.

If you have one (or more) connected your Sonos will try to enter Boost mode, no matter how many unwired.

If you have none connected to Ethernet your Sonos will try to enter Standard mode.

Any answer I could offer depends on which Boost or Standard mode you are trying to use.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

thanks for your reply. 

ilto clarify, during the setup mode, I’m able to connect the Sonos speaker to the Ethernet port. And only when one speaker is connected to the Ethernet port, I can then see all my speakers (they are not far from each other). But as soon as I disconnect the speaker, my other Sonos speakers start to disappear at random timing (so say the bathroom is displayed but the living rooms disappear) from the Sonos controller. 

What I meant to say is that it is not feasible to permanently connect a speaker to the Ethernet port. My apartment setup is that the router is in the closet. 

what I have tried is to hard reset the speaker. I was able to set up the speakers when connected to the Ethernet port, but once I remove the speakers, once again the same issue arises. 

this only happened with the eero router (single not mesh set up). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It sounds like your WiFi may not be set up to support Sonos, are you sure you followed the steps to enable the stuff Sonos needs and disable the stuff it doesn’t work with?

Have you considered picking up a Sonos Boost, sticking it in your closet and wiring it to your router? That shouldn’t be necessary but it avoids having to tweak your router setup to meet Sonos’ needs.

@AudiophileBeta Thank you for bringing this issue to the Sonos Community. This is going to come down to your environment with local wifi from your neighbors adding to wifi interference and your own network topology. Stanley_4 may be correct that you may need the Sonos Boost as the wired product to the router for Sonosnet. Please test a wireless setup from your mobile device running the Sonos app when you have a Sonos unit Ethernet wired to the Eero router. You can then power re-boot off/on your other Sonos products for 15 seconds. When they all power up with a solid white light then re-open the Sonos app. Please look in the rooms tab and make sure you see all of your room names. When you do, you can then follow these steps to teach Sonos your Eero’s 2.4 G connection:

On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Wireless Setup

After the app shows done then remove the Ethernet wire from Sonos and test the music playback when not wired. If you have issues from here it could mean that your Eero is not properly configured or that we need full network topology to troubleshoot further with:

1. Modem - model name/number
  2. Router(s) - model name/number
  3. Extender(s) - model name/numbers
  4. Access Point(s) - model name/numbers
  5. Switches (managed or unmanagd) model name/numbers
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

So I think I kinda solved the issue. When I first got the Eero system, there are some experimental features listed under the ‘Eero labs’ Settings > Advanced > Eero Labs. Wanting to improve my wifi experience, I enabled them during set up. All my wifi devices, except the Sonos worked fine. So after disabling all three of the experimental features, I am able to see all my Sonos systems. And so far, everything has been working fine.

So if anyone has been experiencing issues with Sonos and Eero, you may want to make sure these experimental features are disabled.