Sonos Wireless doesnt work

Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 22 replies
I connect my Sonos:1 through my iPhone 6S Plus to the Wi-Fi and when it’s says I can disconnect it from the internet cable it just doesn’t work, It worked before but now after some updates It doesn’t. I don’t know what’s the problem my Apps are updated, I’ve tried everything and nothing works. Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

If you are using a dual band modem, make sure you are connected to the 2.4 GHz band, not the 5 GHz. Sonos uses 2.4 GHz, and most modems do not bridge between the bands.
Badge +1
I don’t know how to change from 2.4GHz to 5GHz or back... It worked perfectly for one year and now it just stoped. I didn’t change my internet modem or anything.
I used to control my Sonos from My Surface Pro 3 but I don’t use that anymore.
Badge +1
So funny thing, I've kept chaning chanel width for the last 40 min and my sonos conects only to 20/40 MHz, but it doesn't play any music( I use apple music) it works perfect on cable internet tho, so it just keeps skipping all of my songs and not playing anything, I've tried playing on soundcloud too and still doesn't fkng work. I've tried the sonos windows program and still music doesn't play, on iPhone I get the same error. It's nice paying for a wirless music device that only works while conected to wired internet.
Can y'all fix those glitches already? There is like 5cm between my sonos play 1 and my router. How am I supposed to fix that? when I try to play one song from Apple Music it just loads for 30 sec then "An error occurred while adding tracks to the Queue (1002)"
So funny thing, I've kept chaning chanel width for the last 40 min and my sonos conects only to 20/40 MHz,
Sonos uses 20MHz channel width. In fact it's generally a mistake to set a router to anything but 20MHz in the 2.4GHz band, otherwise it'll mess up the standard 1/6/11 channel scheme as a result of channel overlaps.

There is like 5cm between my sonos play 1 and my router.

Either move it further away, or wire it. It's quite likely that in such close proximity the Sonos unit's radio is being overwhelmed by the router's transmitter, especially when the router's communicating with a more distant device such as the phone.
Badge +1
Let's talk abou this. I've changed my chanel width to 20MHz, it worked, I was fast enough to put one song to play, (I have crossfade on) and last seconds it showed that it's unable to play next track or something...
It played the full one song but couldn't play the next one, I don't know what's the problem, it just disconects after one minute +/-... What could be the problem?
Let's talk abou this.
See the second point above, about the distance between the speaker and the router.
Badge +1
I did, now they're like 4-5 min apart.
Badge +1
Things didn't really change, I put them so close thinking it's my wi-fi range the problem but it's not.
Badge +1
It played the full one song but couldn't play the next one, I don't know what's the problem, it just disconects after one minute +/-...

It disconects but the song is still playing, I just can't change the volume or play another song.
I did, now they're like 4-5 min apart.
Is that 4-5 meters?

It disconects but the song is still playing, I just can't change the volume or play another song.
Clear signs (still) of network issues. Try changing your router's WiFi channel. Pick 1, 6 or 11. Better still, use a WiFi scanner app to find the best channel for your router.

If none of this works, submit a Sonos diagnostic and post the confirmation number. Sonos Support can take a look.
Badge +1
yeah 4-5 meters, my bad.
And how do I know what's the best channel? It just shows me other people's channels.
Badge +1
I've changed my channel to 11. Was on "Automatic" (Wi-Fi Scanner showed me "1") and still it only plays one song if I'm fast enough to play it then it just stops...
Badge +1
837680110 - diagnostics
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
837680110 - diagnostics

Thanks for sending in the report. Your speaker is losing connection to the music service's server. Do you have the same issue with playing your local music library? It looks like some sort of DNS or security issue on the router stopping the speaker from connecting.

Try rebooting your router and speaker, and playing from a few different sources, including your local library, then send in a new diagnostic report and reply here with the number.
Badge +1
Look, this problem is old, idk how old because I've used to play sonos on my hotspot but now I just want it to play on my normal wi-fi. I've tried TuneIN Radio and still it goes off after 50 sec. Same happens with souncloud and Apple Music, and Local Music Library.
I've tried connecting it to a new wi-fi (from the same router) and the problem persists.
1891904122 - diagnostics.
Look, this problem is old, idk how old because I've used to play sonos on my hotspot but now I just want it to play on my normal wi-fi. I've tried TuneIN Radio and still it goes off after 50 sec. Same happens with souncloud and Apple Music, and Local Music Library.
I've tried connecting it to a new wi-fi (from the same router) and the problem persists.
1891904122 - diagnostics.

Did you try changing the routers DNS as suggested by Jeff S (Sonos Staff) as it appears your router was having issues communicating with your music service. Perhaps try the public Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.
Badge +1
How exactly do I change my routers DNS?
How exactly do I change my routers DNS?
Don't. You say your problem reproduces with library music. This means the issue is within your local network.
Badge +1
😕 So what should I do now?
You said in the first post that the speaker worked perfectly when it was wired to the router. Is this still the case?
Badge +1
Yes, it still works, the wi-fi problem is older, I just didn't really pay attention to it because I've used hotspot.
So, to be clear, you have problems on the WiFi but if you temporarily wire the speaker to the router it will start working fine? Kindly check that this is the case now, because it would help eliminate a number of possible red herrings.

What router is it anyhow?
Badge +1
It's a HUAWEI, yeah it works only with an ethernet cable, I can remove the cable and go to my routers page, select the 20MHz option and press "Apply" conect to my speaker and put something to play.
I know I've lost conection when I can't change the volume anymore also apple music songs play till the end while radio and local library play for 50 seconds.
Interesting. If it works perfectly when wired then we should be able to eliminate IP address conflicts and DNS as potential culprits.

It still feels like a wireless problem. The speaker works (or worked) fine on the hotspot, yes?

Does that router have an 'airtime fairness' option anywhere is its wireless (or advanced wireless) settings? If so, turn it off.
Badge +1
No, I can't find this option.