Answered

SONOS WIFI HEADPHONES

Userlevel 1
i HAVE SORROUND SISTEM 5.1 (SONOS PLAYBAR, SUB and 2 PLAY 1) NEED TO HAVE A HEADFONE CONECTED TO MY SONOS WIFI WHIT POSIBILITY TO HEAR SOURROUND, ETC, ETC..ARE YOU DEVELOP SOMETHING TO HELP THE PEOPLE THAT INVEST IN SONOS AND NOW CAN EAR MUSIC DURING LATE HOURS ?
icon

Best answer by Tom B 3 August 2017, 17:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi eduza, welcome to the community. We are not developing anything like this right now, but we'll pass along your idea.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Tom! it's the only device than SONOS dont have for offer to his customers, and if you are a SONOS fan, like me, i don't have other choice (I'm in a "SONOS jail")! SONOS already has developed the hardware and software, just need implement it in a surround HiFi quality headphone!
I have two friends SONOS fan and they have the same problem (when you have family it's difficult). Sorry for bother you. Thank you again!!
H @edusa. I am not sure what Sonos could give you through headphones that a non-Sonos solution could not. But if you want Sonos through headphones you can buy a Connect and a set of Bluetooth headphones with a base station that can take the feed from the Connect. Which is why there isn't the remotest chance of Sonos developing its own headphones.
Although, incidentally, you are going to struggle to get surround sound out of headphones unless you have more than two ears.
Userlevel 1
Hola John! the specs of base station say: "non bluetooth compatible" I don't understand????
You would connect the analog out of the Connect to the analog in on the base station of the Bluetooth headphones.
Hi

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/home-audio-headphones
The simple fact is that Sonos acts as a "pull" device. Inside each speaker is basically a computer (minimalist), and a wifi card nestled in with the speaker and power source. It wouldn't be impossible to create headphones with all of the equipment in them, just complex, and I suspect that Sonos, despite being asked for them at intervals here in these boards, hasn't been able to make a financial case to make them. As John B has pointed out, there's already a way to connect a regular set of Bluetooth headphones, and I suspect that the market for a Sonos set wouldn't offset the cost of creating a product. Sure, it would sell, but probably in the hundreds, not hundreds of thousands. Probably not enough to spin up a manufacturing line, at least.

Now, I suppose I sound a bit judgmental on this. I haven't looked at any market analysis on this, so it's possible that I'm way off base, but the evidence so far is that Sonos isn't interested in entering that market space.
Userlevel 1
John B, if you have two ears, like me, pls try with this one: Sennheiser’s RS 175.
Thanks for your help Tom B and Airgetlam!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Something like this should let you connect your bluetooth headphones to a Connect or other Sonos device with audio output. 3.5 analog or TOS for $50 or so. Analog only is cheaper.

https://smile.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless/dp/B01KO1JNCA

https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Inateck-Headphone/dp/B01FVIS4TE

A variety of folks make these, TaoTronics and Inateck have excellent warranty service so I'd recommend them.
I don't know that I recommend a connect since OP is referring to his 5.1. setup. He mentioned listening to music, but I would imagine he also wants it to be in sync with the tv.. A connect would bring in a slight delay, correct?

If you already have the headphones you referenced, then an optical switch so the output from your tv can go to both the PLAYBAR and your headphone base. That handles tv sound. For music, you could use a connect, but I probably would opt for just connecting it to the headphone jack of a phone or tablet, if you don't have a connect available. I would think anything you can get from sonos is also available from an app.

The problem I see with Sonos coming up with a headphone product is, there's virtually no multiroom advantage. There will never be a need to stream audio to a room and your headphones in sync, as a headphone user would never hear the other room. Perhaps a wifi headphone could be more reliable than Bluetooth or RF headphones (I don't know) but your range is limited to your wifi.

I could see a situation where sonos creates an app that is it's own zone. Therefore, you could use Bluetooth headset and your phone to listen to sonos. However, they would have to be a charge for this. You can't give some away for free that could undercut the sales of your other products. But then there would also be complications regarding tv listening since it would have to be in sync (so only 5.0 wifi, and perhaps bonded to playbar?). Perhaps more importantly, not much you can't already do with your phone without sonos music wise.
Melvimbe wrote: "The problem I see with Sonos coming up with a headphone product is, there's virtually no multiroom advantage."

Wrong! How about listening to the news on the radio (Tune-In) or to music (Spotify) without disturbing other people in your house?

I use my Sennheiser wireless earphones to listen to the DAB+ radio that has to stand near to the window because the reception of DAB+ inside is very bad. My Connect/Amp is connected to an amplifier with speakers. My Play1 and my PlayBase offer no earphone outlet.

I would have to buy another Connect/Amp plus another Sennheiser to listen to Sonos radio or music without disturbing others. I feel let-down by Sonos.
"Let down"? Why? Did Sonos somehow promise you headphones and not deliver? Why would you expect a multi-room music system manufacturer who never claimed to manufacture headphones, now or in the future, to suddenly start manufacturing headphones?
@RobertW, at the very moment, I'm at work listen to XM radio with headphones on...through my phone.

Nothing you said really warrants a multiroom system. If I want to listen to Spotify or TuneIn through headphones, I'll plug headphones into my phone. As far a DAB, not sure if that's available on your phone.

Is this a sound quality issue? is your phone incapable of producing the audio quality you want? What am I missing?

If your using a NAS as your source, maybe that makes sense. Otherwise, I think the answer is that you don't use Sonos, or involve, Sonos in getting the audio to your ears. I can see where some customers may want sonos headphones so all there stuff is Sonos or something like that,.
Melvimbe wrote: "Nothing you said really warrants a multiroom system."

Reply: How about walking around in your house, listening to the news or to music, without disturbing others?

Melvimbe wrote: "If I want to listen to Spotify or TuneIn through headphones, I'll plug headphones into my phone."

Reply : Sonos does not play on my phone. This means that I - after having invested a lot money and timein a Sonos system with preferences and playlists - have to use another way to listen to the news or music, if I do not want disturb others.

jgatie wrote: "Let down"? Why?"

Reply: Because Sonos does not offer a complete system for listening to radio and music via the wifi in my house.
I would also feel let-down if Sonos would not offer Connect for my hifi and PlayBase/bar for my tv.
So in order for you not to feel let down Sonos should devote significant resources to a risky and loss making development?

Get a Connect and BT headphones with base station
Considering the installed base of Sonos, I think it is worth considering to fill this gap in a incomplete range of products.

In the mean time I will try to connect one of my Sennheiser wireless headphones, but somehow that feels like an temporary solution until Sonos comes to its senses.
Comes to its senses? Well believe what you like but Sonos headphones will never happen. Too much uncertainty over whether it would work well, might undermine other speaker sales, and too many simple alternatives for listening through headphones. If ever there was a suggestion that clearly made no commercial sense, this is it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Who in their right mind spends thousand of pounds, dollars, Yen, Euros on great sounding speakers and then wants to walk around with headphones? And don't tell me you don't want to disturb others. it's not as if those people have suddenly appeared with the arrival of the Sonos gear. If not disturbing other people with music was a consideration after you bought the speakers it sure as hell was s consideration BEFORE you bought them so you should have made a more appropriate purchasing decision.
I suggest that one who goes through life expecting nameless, faceless companies to bend to their every want and whim will spend the vast majority of their time being "let down". I'm only "let down" by a company if they promise me something and subsequently do not deliver, and even then it is only temporary disappointment, for if the promised, yet undelivered feature is that dear to me, the product is gone from my home and I never worry about it again.

Sonos never promised to "offer a complete system for listening to radio and music via the wifi", they promised to offer exactly what they offer. To expect anything different is on you, not Sonos.
Headphone listening is the antithesis of Sonos’ “Music Out Loud” campaign. They even did a major study on the effects on our lives of listening to music together. Headphones just aren’t in their corporate DNA.

http://blog.sonos.com/en/music-makes-it-home/
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Melvimbe wrote: "The problem I see with Sonos coming up with a headphone product is, there's virtually no multiroom advantage."

Wrong! How about listening to the news on the radio (Tune-In) or to music (Spotify) without disturbing other people in your house?

I use my Sennheiser wireless earphones to listen to the DAB+ radio that has to stand near to the window because the reception of DAB+ inside is very bad. My Connect/Amp is connected to an amplifier with speakers. My Play1 and my PlayBase offer no earphone outlet

All available via BT on your phone.
Just saw the Sonos and Alexa on Sunday Morning Techno Claus. Looking for solutions for people that have visual impairment as well as hearing impairment. Current goal is for a person that is able to speak. The Echo would be great if there was a simple solution to connecting with a headset. Is there a Sonos solution? Just a humble opinion that companies are missing some marketing and sales opportunities with the “older” population demographic growing in numbers. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Appreciate that Bluetooth may be an option but its range is somewhat limited compared to wi-fi. I’m listening to more podcasts via Sonos these days and moving around my house to perhaps just outside at times and back in again, a pair of headphones would be fantastic I believe. In my circumstances in any case.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I know it's been a while since this discussion but I think Sonos headphones would be fantastic. Why wouldn't they be? The technology is already there. Many companies provide an RF or Bluetooth solution for wireless headphones and they are horrible, Sonos could set the gold standard here.

Like the previous poster, headphones would just allow you to listen to music anywhere in your house without anyone else having to listen to what you're listening to. This is ideal for a person who has a family, especially late at night.

I'll give you my user case, I'm currently running a connect for my vintage HiFi setup and wired headphones just don't work for me because the system is too far from any sitting area. I have play 1s in two different rooms but again I'm limited to when I can play them. Sonos headphones in this case would be great solution. Bluetooth is not an option for me because they are laggy and not ideal for an audiophile such as myself.

Sonos needs to start thinking about solutions like this because they have way too much completion in the WiFi space nowadays.