Sonos v. Heos Comparison

Badge
I am trying to find straight comparison's between the various Sonos and Heos speakers. Ignoring the apps, lawsuits, and preference of appearance and instead focusing strictly on sound quality, does anyone know of where to find some good comparisons between the products or maybe have done comparisons of their own?

Below are a few basics as best I understand or have compared:

Sonos One v. Heos 1 - Most seem to give the Sonos One a slight edge in sound quality.

Sonos Play 3 v. Heos 3 - Neither really seems to have an edge.

Sonos Play 5 v. Heos 5 - Most seem to give the Play 5 a slight edge in sound quality.

Sonos Play 5 v. Heos 7 - A vast majority seem to give the Heos 7 the easy edge here. It seems to be highly rated all around.

Sonos PlayBar (w/ sub) v. Heos HomeCinema - Neither really seem to have an edge.

Sonos PlayBar (w/ sub) v. Heos Bar (w/ sub) - Reviews that compare these are hard to find but between the lack of HDMI on the PlayBar and the raw specs of the Heos Bar, it seems to be the better pick. A few stores will tell you the same.

Does anyone have links that support/refute the above? What are your personal experiences?

Have the specs for the new PlayBar/PlayBase leaked?

Thx.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

88 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, this discussion went way off topic, so I've deleted some posts to clean it up. Please don't attack any other users for any reasons, and try to stay friendly. If this thread can't remain friendly we'll close it down. We encourage discussion, so please feel free to keep on the topic at hand.

If you have any questions, please message me directly instead of re-sparking the off-topic discussion.

Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
... and the fact those devices have no communities. Red flag... just sayin.

That is a fair comment and concerning. I like the free debate approach of this focum where diacussioj of competitive products is not restricted. It is healthy and I think reinfoces Sonos credibility. Appreciate it might be annoying for some though. But that’s the way of most things in life.

PS: to offset any offence I’ve sacrifices more folding stuff at the alter. 5 more Sonos speakers on the way 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
... and the fact those devices have no communities. Red flag... just sayin.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Can these questions …. I don't know …. be asked on a HEOS or Yamaha enthusiast board? Just sayin.

I’m sure they could. As can peole ignore threads in which they’re not interested. Lots of things are possible. Justsayin.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If you Can anyone advise if the Heos wireless soeakers will work for 5.1 HT with the Heos equipped Denon AV receiver range? Website is a little vague on the matter.

If you hook up a Denon receiver that has Heos built in, you simply plug in speakers to the receiver as you would any other receiver. If you happen to have other Heos wireless speakers, you just need to download the app to join the two together and sync the sound.[/quot[quote=Atari_Prime]If you Can anyone advise if the Heos wireless soeakers will work for 5.1 HT with the Heos equipped Denon AV receiver range? Website is a little vague on the matter.

If you hook up a Denon receiver that has Heos built in, you simply plug in speakers to the receiver as you would any other receiver. If you happen to have other Heos wireless speakers, you just need to download the app to join the two together and sync the sound.

So If I buy a Denon Heos compatible ‘full’ receiver (not the limited special receiver they have) I can send full dts-hd wirelessly to a set of denon heos speakers? If that is the case, i’m boing to replace Sonos 5.1 in the morning.

It is similar to the Yamaha Music Cast, you send 5.1 DTS and DTS-X with the yamaha music cast from a yamaha AV receiver. Yamaha and Denon does better HT system system the Sonos. Yamaha does Atmos with their Music cast system as well. So I can not see Denon doing the sonos thing of no DTS or DTS-X.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If you Can anyone advise if the Heos wireless soeakers will work for 5.1 HT with the Heos equipped Denon AV receiver range? Website is a little vague on the matter.

If you hook up a Denon receiver that has Heos built in, you simply plug in speakers to the receiver as you would any other receiver. If you happen to have other Heos wireless speakers, you just need to download the app to join the two together and sync the sound.[/quot[quote=Atari_Prime]If you Can anyone advise if the Heos wireless soeakers will work for 5.1 HT with the Heos equipped Denon AV receiver range? Website is a little vague on the matter.

If you hook up a Denon receiver that has Heos built in, you simply plug in speakers to the receiver as you would any other receiver. If you happen to have other Heos wireless speakers, you just need to download the app to join the two together and sync the sound.

So If I buy a Denon Heos compatible ‘full’ receiver (not the limited special receiver they have) I can send full dts-hd wirelessly to a set of denon heos speakers? If that is the case, i’m boing to replace Sonos 5.1 in the morning.
Badge

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Can anyone advise if the Heos wireless soeakers will work for 5.1 HT with the Heos equipped Denon AV receiver range? Website is a little vague on the matter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't consider Amazon multiroom very functional - it will work but it isn't the multiroom experience I believe most look for.
Although I agree that speaker quality of Sonos is better than Amazon and Google overall, Amazon (and I think Google too) have had multiroom functionality for a while now. In fact, people often come here to complain that Sonos and Echos can't do multiroom together. And sound quality isn't everything to all customers.

As far as Apple goes, they just came out with multiroom functionality with the release of airplay2. Some people say they're speakers are better than Sonos, but it's debatable. I'm not even convinced they can do a true stereo pair. Still, they are going to compete with Sonos for customers, may be more than Google and Amazon since there is yet no real integration plan for Sonos and Homepod to coexist in a home.

So I suppose we basically agree...semantics.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Have there been any sales estimates for the Homepod? And I'm not quite sure how Google and Amazon are considered to be a different space than Sonos, but Apple is? Perhaps because Apple is comparing their speaker to Sonos while Google and Amazon are not?

Well one simple way to look at it is as follows - I am a 6 room Sonos household. Can Amazon replace my system? I wouldn't consider going in that direction mainly because of Sound Quality and the number of supported services etc. Sonos seems a more hard core choice for pure music lovers. The Echos are not in that space at really - for suited to casual music lovers and people who love tech and the range of conveniences that voice brings. OK with Google Home Max I may consider it an option but again Google does not have the range of multiform audio options that Sonos have.

For me Apple can only be considered if I am pleased to be barricaded into Apple's jungle. I am an big Apple user but no thanks.
Have there been any sales estimates for the Homepod? And I'm not quite sure how Google and Amazon are considered to be a different space than Sonos, but Apple is? Perhaps because Apple is comparing their speaker to Sonos while Google and Amazon are not?

From what I've seen, all of the players have struggled a bit in figuring out exactly what customer want from a voice assistant speaker and being able to deliver functionality on time and bug free. And that's understandable since it's a brand new space. I agree with Chris in that trying to be voice assistant neutral can give Sonos an edge. I add that they're ability to go HT theatre as part of your whole home audio also sets them apart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I like Sonos embracing all of the competitors at this point - making their speakers compatible with Amazon, Google, and Apple. Making Sonos the more universal choice - which has always been its specialty (ie in past not beholden to one music service either). Sonos remains the most flexible alternative where your not locked in an echo-system - - very big advantage.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Crutchfield allows sorting by "best sellers" in a filtered products list. Pretty obvious who sells by far the most multiroom audio systems.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_385750/Wireless-Multi-room-Audio-Systems.html?tp=61788&o=v&pg=1#&nvpair=FFType|Adapter/Streamer&nvpair=FFType|Amplified%20Music%20Player&nvpair=FFType|Powered%20Speaker&nvpair=FFType|Sound%20Bar

Sonos is the best selling among multiroom audio systems pre HomePod - I don't really consider Echo and Google Home as necessarily operating in the exact space though their success has blunted Sonos' growth potential. Now that Apple has added multiroom with its 11.4 update it may be a bigger competitive threat for Sonos. Poor sales for Apple may still be more that Sonos just by virtue of the power of their brand. Ppl worry about Sonos longevity with Amazon, Google and Apple now operating in similar spaces but if Sonos prospects is challenging what then of Denon, Bose, BlueSound etc. Their multiform businesses must be on life support.

I have to say I think Sonos has enough going for it and with some clever product updates they can remain a viable company for the foreseeable company.
Badge
As of May 30 at approximately 9 PM, group volume control has been restored to the HEOS App. Everything appears to be functioning as normal.
Crutchfield allows sorting by "best sellers" in a filtered products list. Pretty obvious who sells by far the most multiroom audio systems.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_385750/Wireless-Multi-room-Audio-Systems.html?tp=61788&o=v&pg=1#&nvpair=FFType|Adapter/Streamer&nvpair=FFType|Amplified%20Music%20Player&nvpair=FFType|Powered%20Speaker&nvpair=FFType|Sound%20Bar

I didn't make up the statistics, they are out there. As for Bose, they have only recently dove head first into the whole home wireless audio market. For a long time they fought tooth and nail claiming that their wired systems were the way to go. The SoundTouch system was never meant to be a true whole home audio system, it's been kind of shoehorned into the role.

Link for statistics? Because I can't find them. And no, Bose announced the SoundTouch as wireless whole home audio back in 2013. They were deemed a "Sonos Killer" in the press and here by worried enthusiasts. There was no "shoe horning", that's exactly what they were designed for.

Here's an article from the Verge stating that it was specifically made to take on Sonos:

www.theverge.com/2013/10/10/4821712/boses-soundtouch-system-brings-wireless-audio-to-every-room
Badge
Bose SoundTouch launched October 11, 2013

Denon HEOS launched June 2, 2014

Both have been through full line redesigns since.

I'm also curious as to where the "17% compared to Sonos's 50(ish)%" came from. Sonos does not give sales figures, and even so, if Denon is outselling Bose, I'd be very, very surprised.

I didn't make up the statistics, they are out there. As for Bose, they have only recently dove head first into the whole home wireless audio market. For a long time they fought tooth and nail claiming that their wired systems were the way to go. The SoundTouch system was never meant to be a true whole home audio system, it's been kind of shoehorned into the role.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Their parent company, Denon, is one of the oldest technology companies in the world (founded in 1910) and is highly regarding in the audio community. Denon was acquired a year or so ago by Sound United, one of the largest tech companies in the world. In short, they are much larger than Sonos and could buy Sonos if they really wanted to. Now that the legal case between Sonos and Denon is settled, it is highly unlikely that Heos is going anywhere.

Sound United uses DTS PlayFi for its other brands (Marantz, Polk, Definitive Technology). Assuming they are having to pay royalties to Sonos now, why would they not switch their HEOS line to PlayFi? They also pay royalties to DTS, obviously, but maybe at lower rates. Doubt Sonos is letting them get off cheaply.

They also own Boston Acoustics, which has long been known for its high quality, reasonably priced speakers. They could use that expertise to build a real Sonos competitor, but they are still going to be stuck paying royalties for the multiroom wifi tech.

Marantz came with the Denon merger, so they actually uses Heos. They still don't know which system to be the United Sound standard multi room system with all their brands.

Their parent company, Denon, is one of the oldest technology companies in the world (founded in 1910) and is highly regarding in the audio community. Denon was acquired a year or so ago by Sound United, one of the largest tech companies in the world. In short, they are much larger than Sonos and could buy Sonos if they really wanted to. Now that the legal case between Sonos and Denon is settled, it is highly unlikely that Heos is going anywhere.

Sound United uses DTS PlayFi for its other brands (Marantz, Polk, Definitive Technology). Assuming they are having to pay royalties to Sonos now, why would they not switch their HEOS line to PlayFi? They also pay royalties to DTS, obviously, but maybe at lower rates. Doubt Sonos is letting them get off cheaply.

They also own Boston Acoustics, which has long been known for its high quality, reasonably priced speakers. They could use that expertise to build a real Sonos competitor, but they are still going to be stuck paying royalties for the multiroom wifi tech.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
In all honesty - HEOS looks like a decent system. The thing that scares me the most about it is that there is not a large user base (not even any type of online discussion on) and there seems to be very little communication via Denon on the future of the system. Seems just to closed off to me. I mean Sonos isn't exactly great on the communication side but you do know their general direction - and there is discussion on Sonos all over the internet (from AV sites, to Reddit, to this Forum). Denon is all crickets.

HEOS just doen't have the feel of a long term player in the market with a strong user base.

As much as I am irritated with at Heos right now, I feel a reply is warranted.

Sonos is the market leader yes, but Heos is second with something like 17% compared to Sonos's 50(ish)%. Heos has also been around longer than any of the other competitors in whole home wireless audio. If (arguably) Sonos started the trend, Heos was second to the game and has tried to fill in the holes left by Sonos. Their parent company, Denon, is one of the oldest technology companies in the world (founded in 1910) and is highly regarding in the audio community. Denon was acquired a year or so ago by Sound United, one of the largest tech companies in the world. In short, they are much larger than Sonos and could buy Sonos if they really wanted to. Now that the legal case between Sonos and Denon is settled, it is highly unlikely that Heos is going anywhere.

It is true that Denon is not the greatest at communicating with the public. This is one thing that Sonos has and still does very well. Even if Denon wanted to communicate with the public, between the acquisition by Sound United and the Sonos lawsuit, there are plenty of reasons why they might be apprehensive about communicating openly with the public. That said, I doubt we'll see Denon get much better at communicating, as this would require a major corporate philosophy shift.

Denon might get better with communication. Sound United is a US company vs Denon old owner, a Japanese company. And US companies are generally way better at the customer service aspect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly. You never hear anyone talk about anything HEOS.

Where are all of these HEOS users - none of them talk about HEOS at all on the internet. Good/Bad/Indifferent - no chatter at all.

Just look at their reddit - it may get a post a week. Compared to Sonos with dozens a day.

Amazon reviews for comparable products:

Sonos Play:1 has 3800+.

Bose SoundTouch 10 has 700+

Denon HEOS 1 has 93!
Bose SoundTouch launched October 11, 2013

Denon HEOS launched June 2, 2014

Both have been through full line redesigns since.

I'm also curious as to where the "17% compared to Sonos's 50(ish)%" came from. Sonos does not give sales figures, and even so, if Denon is outselling Bose, I'd be very, very surprised.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos is the market leader yes, but Heos is second with something like 17% compared to Sonos's 50(ish)%

Where are all of these HEOS users - none of them talk about HEOS at all on the internet. Good/Bad/Indifferent - no chatter at all.

Just look at their reddit - it may get a post a week. Compared to Sonos with dozens a day.