Answered

Sonos use with Bluetooth headphones.

• 11 October 2017
  • 11 replies

Is there any known work around to enable listening to a Sonos speaker via Bluetooth headphones? Thanks
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 12 October 2017, 05:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

@ratty's post in this thread may give you a starting point

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/headphones-with-sonos-6738245

That's quite an old post. I currently use Avantree long range Bluetooth for headphones. For casual conservatory/garden use an aptX transmitter suffices, with the receiver hooked to lightweight/travel Sennheiser headphones. Latterly for evening listening I've been using an aptX-HD transmitter in conjunction with a Radsone EarStudio ES100 receiver, driving some midrange Sennheiser 'phones. The receiver is firmware-upgradable and controlled via BT from a phone app. Endlessly tweakable settings, including crossfeed, and in fact quite astounding for the relatively modest outlay.

In both cases the BT transmitter is simply hooked to a ZP80's optical output, the one driving the aptX-HD transmitter set to Fixed Volume as the Radsone receiver has a very fine-grained local volume control together with multiband EQ.
I assume it is not on the new Amp because it would add insignificantly to sales
@ratty's post in this thread may give you a starting point

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/headphones-with-sonos-6738245
I've read all the above comments (as of 13/Dec/18. Still have no idea what might *actually* work. I have several connects and can "split" the outputs if need be. My more basic question might be, given the "new" Sonos amp, why is this not included as part of its output options? Preferably controlled via the "Sonos App" for that device. They used to be the leader in this area. Now they're becoming like Apple (late followers vs early leaders). Anyone with an actual working solution, please post; all of the above seem to reference thins someone "might" do.

You can connect it to Connect's digital output. This way the signal remains in the digital domaine all the way to your Bluetooth headphones, far more immune to noise pickup and other analog gremlins. Have been using it for a few years.

I am not sure you are correct about the digital domain thing - and the problem with BT is in the wireless transmission from the device to the end point, not with what happens to the signal inside the BT transmitter and the former part remains vulnerable as it does for any other BT device. Your good experience almost certainly is down to the more advanced BT tech in the unit, with the digital input being more of a feature to expand the places where the BT transceiver can be used.
Badge
One thing to add. All the Bluetooth workarounds for headphones suggested here use Connect's analog outputs. That certainly works but there is a better, all digital solution: get a Bluetooth transmitter with digital ("SPDIF" coaxial or optical) input, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-TaoTronics-Digital-Wireless/dp/B0757F93LV/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511310485&sr=8-5&keywords=tosblue+x

You can connect it to Connect's digital output. This way the signal remains in the digital domaine all the way to your Bluetooth headphones, far more immune to noise pickup and other analog gremlins. Have been using it for a few years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I like Sennheiser's sound but their reliability and availability of replacement parts like ear pads got me to give up on them.

A base and earphone pair solution is sure to work but if it has a failure or you want to upgrade just one side it is expensive compared to generic devices.
That looks like an interesting gadget worth investigating, thanks for the link.

I recommended Sennheiser because they make both the base station and the wireless headphones that work with it and I have seen good reviews for the solution; I haven't used it though I have used the make happily for years in the past. Plus, their wireless solution comes at a range of price points.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are many Bluetooth transmitters that you can hook to the output jacks of a Connect, some fancy some simple, I've got this one on my shopping list.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01KO1JNCA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I8VWK3EL6H0N5&colid=1M1MHCPFXSKHP
A Sennheiser wireless headphone pair, with its base station wired to the outputs of the Connect is the only way I know. Expensive unless the Connect is already in the system.